Funding for Professional Development
Guidelines for Funding for Professional Development (FPD)
The BGSU Graduate Student Senate is pleased to facilitate professional development for graduate students by providing funds which graduate students may apply for at the beginning of each semester. Funding for professional development (FPD) is designed to supplement costs for graduate students participating in professional activities (i.e. conferences, memberships, workshops, recitals, etc) and research materials.
Applicants must be enrolled within BGSU's Graduate College for at least 4 credit hours in the semester they seek funding. Applicants for summer funding may apply provided that they are enrolled in at least 4 credits for the following Fall semester.
Applicants must be in good standing with the Graduate College.
The applicant's department must be in good standing with Graduate Student Senate (GSS) at the end of the previous semester. Applicants from departments not in good standing with GSS at the end of the previous semester will not be considered for FPD. Applicants are responsible for knowing this information.
Each student must fill out an application, completely independent of any other student. NO GROUP APPLICATIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED.
Only one FPD application accepted per activity per student.
A student may apply for multiple activities within a semester. Each professional development activity will require a separate application.
FPD Funding is intended to reimburse students, not departments, for professional development expenses.
Guidelines for Decisions
- INCOMPLETE OR LATE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED
- Preference will be given to new applicants who have not received professional development funding in the current fiscal year.
- You will receive an email notification of your award status on or before May 4, 2018 from the GSS treasurer. Receipts for expenses and proof of attendance should be submitted to the GSS after the start of the Fall 2018 semester or within 30 days of travel, whichever is later. See the GSS FPD webpage for details.
Funding Guidelines and Appropriate Use of FPD
- FPD Travel Reimbursements will be considered only for out-of-pocket expenses related to transportation, lodging, and registration or for professional membership fees.
- FPD will not be provided for meals, food expenses, or other social activities. Mileage is in compliance with the university mileage reimbursement policy found here
- Award amounts in most cases vary from $50 - $200 per event. The actual amount received is dependent upon the number of applications received, level of participation, and funding available within any given semester.
- Applicants may only apply for FPD during the defined period of time.
- Employees who travel on university business are encouraged to incur the lowest practical and reasonable expense while still traveling in an effective and timely manner. Those traveling on university business are expected to avoid impropriety, or the appearance of impropriety, in any travel expense. Employees should conduct university business with integrity, in compliance with applicable laws and Ohio Eh=thics guidelines, and in a manner that excludes consideration of personal advantage. Should an expense be incurred that is subsequently determined to be improper or in excess of normal costs of travel, the traveler may not be fully reimbursed.
Complete the application found at the link below. Hit submit. It's that simple! Remember to submit a different application for each event. OrgSync will generate an automatic confrimation email after submitting the form. If you submitted an application and have not received notification please call the GSS office within the week following the notification date.
The University now uses Chrome River to process reimbursements. For information on how to use Chrome River, please click here.
If possible, bring receipts and proof of attendance if funds are used for travel (something which can only be obtained at the event, such as a program or name badge) to the GSS office within one month AFTER the event. The office cannot and will not accept receipts before the date of the event.
If you are receiving funds from your department take your receipts to them first, then ask them to forward the Chrome River travel reimbursement form and receipts to the GSS office before sending it to Accounts Payable. Add Stephanie Boman as a delegate. GSS will then add your GSS awarded funds to the form and send it forward to the business office. If you don't have department funding, scan receipts and email to Stephanie Boman at GSSAwards@bgsu.edu
Receipts must show that the applicant paid for the expense. If another party paid for the expense the attendee must have documentation which includes a copy of the receipt from the billing party (such as the hotel or airline) and a statement from the person who paid verifying that they received compensation from the applicant. If you have any question regarding receipts or filing for your reimbursement please contact Stephanie Boman at SBoman@bgsu.edu
Summer FPD Reimbursement
The GSS office is closed during summer session and this affects the method of submitting receipts for your FPD reimbursement. If your travel event is also being funded by your department, submit your receipts to your department and ask them to process the award without the GSS award included. Ask your department secretary to email a copy of the department's reimbursement transaction to Stephanie Boman and our office will add the GSS award when the office reopens after the beginning of fall semester. If you are not receiving department funds for your professional development event please submit your receipts and proof of attendance to the office after the beginning of fall semester.
Funding Dates and Deadlines
- Summer Semester Activity Date Range: May 7, 2018 - August 26, 2018. Application Deadline – April 17, 2018 at 11:59 pm. Notification of award on or before May 4, 2018. Applications can be found here.