GSS Funding for Professional Development
Applications for Fall Funding for Professional Development (FPD) are now CLOSED.
Guidelines for Funding for Professional Development (FPD)- Spring 2023
Welcome! The BGSU Graduate Student Senate is pleased to facilitate professional development for graduate students by providing funds which graduate students may apply for at the beginning of each semester. Funding for Professional Development (FPD) is designed to supplement costs for graduate students participating in these activities.
FPD is offered in three categories: Membership in Professional Organizations, Academic Conference (Presenting or Attending) and Other Professional Development Activities. If you wish to apply for more than one category, you must submit a new application for every activity.
Activity date range: January 3, 2023 - May 14, 2023
Applications will open on: Monday, December 26, 2022
Applications are due NO LATER THAN 11:59pm EST on Friday, January 27, 2023
Applicants will be notified of the award status on or before Friday, February 10, 2023
Please contact GSS Vice President, Nick Malendowski (email@example.com) with any questions/concerns
- Applicants must be enrolled within BGSU's Graduate College for at least 4 credit hours in the semester they seek funding. Applicants for Fall funding must be enrolled in 4 credits for Fall 2022. Applicants for Spring funding must be enrolled in 4 credits for Spring 2023. Applicants for Summer funding must be enrolled in either 4 credits for Summer 2023 or Fall 2023.
- Applicants must be in good standing with the Graduate College.
- The applicant's department must be in good standing with Graduate Student Senate (GSS). Applicants from departments not in good standing with GSS will not be considered for FPD. Please contact your senator to confirm your department’s standing.
- Each student must fill out an application, completely independent of any other student. No group applications may be considered.
- FPD will be considered only for expenses related to transportation, lodging, and registration or for professional membership fees.
- FPD will not be provided for meals, food expenses, materials, or other social activities.
- A student may apply for multiple activities within a semester. Each professional development activity will require a separate application. Many conference registrations include and/or require a membership to the organization. In this case, please submit a membership request and a separate conference funding event.
- FPD funding is intended to reimburse students, not departments, for professional development expenses.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Preference will be given to new applicants who have not received professional development funding in this fiscal year.
- If an award includes any type of travel, students are required to complete the travel registration process as instructed by the Office of the Dean of Students.
- All offers of professional development funding are conditional on following the correct procedures of reimbursement. GSS leadership may rescind any offer of funding if reimbursement procedures are not followed in accordance with the guidelines. More specific guidelines will be provided with the notification of award.
- If awarded finding, receipts for expenses and proof of attendance should be submitted through Chrome River, the software used by BGSU to administer reimbursements. This should be done within 30 days of the proposed FPD activity. Specific guidelines and instructions will be provided with the notification of funds.
- Explanation of how this professional development (PD) activity and/or membership connects to the idea of BGSU as a public university serving the public good.
- Clear objectives and connections to how the PD activity will contribute to your professional development.
- Application professionalism (Have you put care into your application? Are all questions thoroughly answered? Has it been thoroughly proofread for errors?)
- External funding source (Is this activity partially funded by your department or another grant?)
- Total number of overall applications
- Breadth of Activity (Is it national, regional, or local?)
- Distance and means of travel
- Status of past award (Have you received FPD funds from GSS in the past?)
- Job search status (Are you entering the job market after the current semester?)
- Leadership/specific role in the activity (For example, is this a project you are leading? Do you hold an official position in the professional organization?)
- Networking opportunity (Does this provide opportunities to make connections with others in your field?)
Additionally, applications for conference presentations will include the following criteria:
- Type of authorship (Only author, first author, or contributing author)
- If the conference or activity involves a peer review or evaluative process
Please expect your reimbursement to be complete approximately eight weeks after correctly submitting to Chrome River. Chrome River is the reimbursement software used by BGSU. If you are offered funding, more detailed information on how to submit for reimbursement will be included with your letter.
Receipts must show that the applicant paid for the expense. If another party paid for the expense the attendee must have documentation which includes a copy of the receipt from the billing party (such as the hotel or airline) and a statement from the person who paid, verifying that they received compensation from the applicant.
Funding Guidelines and Appropriate Use of FPD
- Registration will be required for all FPD travel reimbursements. Please complete the Travel Registration Form.
- FPD awards are not eligible to be used as part of an activity that is part of an explicit requirement for your degree. (However, travel and activities in which you present your thesis/dissertation research are permitted.)
- If offered funding, reimbursement can only be given to the category for which it was awarded. For example, if you request funding for membership fees and are approved, you will only be reimbursed for the cost of membership and not any fees associated with conference travel.
- Award amounts may vary per approval. The actual amount received is dependent upon the number of applications received, level of participation, and funding available within any given semester. Disbursement of funding is at the discretion of the Graduate Student Senate Funding Committee.
- Applicants may only apply for FPD during the designated period of time.
- Employees who travel on university business are encouraged to incur the lowest practical and reasonable expense while still traveling in an effective and timely manner. Those traveling on university business are expected to avoid impropriety, or the appearance of impropriety, in any travel expense. Employees should conduct university business with integrity, in compliance with applicable laws and Ohio Ethics guidelines, and in a manner that excludes consideration of personal advantage. Should an expense be incurred that is subsequently determined to be improper or in excess of normal costs of travel, the traveler may not be fully reimbursed.
- Those requesting reimbursement for any travel are required to register their trip through the Office of the Dean of Students.
Complete the application through the GSS Canvas Shell. Late submissions will not be considered. Remember to submit a different application for each activity. All current graduate students should have access to the Graduate Student Senate Canvas shell. Please look under "all courses" in your canvas account to find it. If you believe you should have access to the canvas shell but do not, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org in advance of the deadline.
Along with information about your proposed activity, you will be asked to submit two essays (maximum of 250 words each):
· Please identify and describe three ways in which this opportunity will contribute to your professional development.
· Please explain how this opportunity incorporates BGSU's commitment as a public university serving the public good.
Please contact your program's senator for more information, or contact us at email@example.com.
By submitting a Funding for Professional Development Application on Canvas, you are agreeing to have read and understand the above information.
Updated: 12/09/2022 01:47PM