Student Media Advisory Committee
To set general policy for and supervise the establishment, publication, and distribution of all University sanctioned student publications.
- Protect the First Amendment rights of student journalists and ensure that there is no direct or indirect interference with the constitutional rights of the students to control both the content of their publications and the manner of expression of that content;
- Hire and monitor the performance of the Director of Student Publications;
- Develop, recommend, and monitor all budgets for student publications;
- Establish salaries for all employees of student publications;
- Ensure that all publications are properly advised and fiscally sound;
- Appoint the editors of student publications;
- Set standards for the editors of student publications and monitor their performance;
- Provide periodic post-publication evaluation of student publications;
- Consider proposals for the establishment of new student publications;
- Act as a liaison between student publications and the University administration;
- Ensure reasonably equitable facilities and equipment for all publications, consolidating resources where possible.
- Three elected faculty members;
- One additional faculty member in first four years, appointed by the Committee on Committees for a one-year term;
- One Department of Journalism faculty, elected by the Department of Journalism faculty for a three-year term;
- Two undergraduate students appointed by USG for one-year terms;
- One graduate student appointed by GSS for a one-year term;
- Two media professionals from outside the University community appointed by the President of the University;
- One representative of the University administration appointed by the President of the University.
The chair shall be elected from among the four elected faculty members.
BALANCE OF REPRESENTATION:
The President of the University will appoint up to two additional students to ensure representation of the minority and female student populations. Three of the elected faculty members must be eligible for election to Faculty Senate (Academic Charter, Article V.B.)
All elected, appointed and ex officio members have full voting rights. Consultants are non-voting members. (Academic Charter, Article V.B.)