BG Perspective (formerly General Education)
To be an advisory body to the Undergraduate Council on matters related to the University's general education requirements. Also:
- review and approve particular courses for the general
- may conduct studies or
analysis, as necessary and appropriate to
assess the effectiveness of the general education curriculum.
Review and approval of particular courses for the general education curriculum is the jurisdiction of the General Education Committee. All recommended major curricular changes are subject to approval by the Undergraduate Council. In addition, the General Education Committee may conduct studies or analysis as necessary and appropriate to assess the effectiveness of the general education curriculum, and to propose programmatic or policy changes as needed. All such programmatic or policy changes are subject to approval by the Undergraduate Council and the Faculty Senate, through the Academic Affairs Committee. The Director of General Education is to implement such approved policy, programmatic, or curricular decisions. The General Education Committee is a University Standing Committee, and incorporates by reference all requirements related to attendance (V.B.2), committee organization (V.B.4), and reporting (V.B.5).
- Ten elected faculty members eligible to be faculty senators with staggered 3-year terms;
- Three faculty members from the Undergraduate Council, who are appointed to staggered three-year terms by the Chair of the Undergraduate Council, the recommendation of the Council;
- One additional faculty member in their first four years, appointed by the Committee on Committees for a one-year term;
- One undergraduate student appointed by USG for a one-year term
- Director of General Education
The chair shall be elected from the elected faculty members of the committee.
All elected, appointed, and ex officio members have full voting rights. ( Academic Charter, Article V.B).