On Move-In Day, you will find a space waiting for your personal touch! For your convenience, we have put together the following packing suggestions for you.
All beds will be fully lofted at move-in. When you move-in, you can put in a request at the front desk to have your bed lowered to any height, but the most popular options are fully lofted, junior lofted (half way), or standard bed height. If you would like to see different bed heights and layouts, we recommend checking out the 360 Viritual Housing Experience. We will not take requests to lower beds prior to move-in.
- Drivers License
- ATM/Credit/Insurance Cards
- Lock Box
- Cell Phone and Charger
- Sports Equipment/Games · Playing Cards
- Hat · Gloves · Scarf · Warm Coat
- Iron · Ironing Board
- Microwave-safe Dishes and Mugs
- Plastic Food Storage Containers
- Sewing Kit
- Shower Curtain*
- Small Safe – Useful when bringing medications
- Storage Organizer/Trunk
- Kitchen Trash Can – University Apartments only.
- Toilet Paper*
- 3M Adhesives – No Nails
- Wall/Room Decor
BED & BATH
- Bed Sheets (Twin Extra-long)
- Mattress Pad
- Futon – 78" wide or less.
- Hairstyling Products · Hair Dryer · Styling Tools
- Nail Care Supplies · Hand Lotion · Hair Brush
Bowling Green State University has been offering the Residence Hall Linens program since 1993. Students at BGSU require specially-sized sheets, mattress pads and comforters to fit campus mattresses. These beds, which are longer than 76 inches, are intended to maximize student comfort.
When you reserve your college bedding through the Residence Hall Linens Program at Our Campus Market (OCM), you ensure the right size linens for move-in. The selection is larger than you will find anywhere else, at prices that are budget-friendly. Best of all, every Residence Hall Linens product available through OCM is guaranteed to fit and guaranteed to last from move-in all the way to graduation. Plus, a percentage of every purchase goes back to student programs for on-campus residents at BGSU.
- First Aid Kit
- Health Insurance Card · Medications
- List of Allergies and Family Medical History
- List of Emergency Contacts
Helpful tip: Write down your medical information and emergency contacts. Having them saved on your phone or computer is helpful but if they fail, it is good to have a backup copy stored in a safe place.
ELECTRONICS & HOUSEWARES
- Alarm Clock
- Backup Phone Charger
- Co-axial Cable for TV
- Computer Charger and Locking Cable
- Desk/Floor Lamp – With UL label. Use a fluorescent or incandescent bulb.
- Ethernet Cord – BGSU compliant cable available at Falcon Outfitters.
- Fan – With UL Label
- Gaming System
- Microwave – NOT to exceed 900 watts.
- Power Strip/Batteries
- Compact Refrigerator – Less than 5 cubic feet and 36" high, not to exceed 1.5 amps.
- Can Opener
- Reusable Water Bottle/Water Filters
- Keurig/Small Coffee Maker – Auto shut off only.
- Stereo or Speakers that Connect to your Smart Device
- TV with a QAM Tuner
- Download the Apogee Stream2 App to access BGTV!
LAUNDRY & CLEANING SUPPLIES
- Laundry Bag
- HE Detergent
- Dishwashing Soap
- Drying Rack
- Stain Remover
- Cleaning Supplies · Paper Towels
- Air Freshener
- Bathroom Cleaning Supplies*
Bringing your own furniture is completely optional. If you are considering purchasing or bringing furniture from home, please review our furniture requirements prior to Move-In Day. Below you can also find PDFs you can find dimensions of the furniture provided in your residence hall.
Upholstered Furniture must be fire retardant. Look for one or more of these fire retardant standards on identification tags:
- NFPA 701
- Class 1 of the U.S. Dept. of Commerce Commercial Standard 191-53
- California Flammability Bulletin 117
- ASTM-E 84
- Upholstered Furniture Action Council (UFAC) Gold Tag)
Wood Furniture must either be constructed with pretreated lumber or must be coated with fire retardant. Pretreated lumber will be stamped. Look for one or more of these identifiers:
- Class A ASTM
- Underwriters Laboratories, Inc., 17PO
Fire retardant paints and varnishes will list one or more of these standards: ASTM-E 84, NFPA 701, or UL 723. Be sure to get a paint or varnish that is fire retardant, not "heat resistant".
Looking for room dimensions? You can find them listed on the individual residence hall web pages. You can find access to these pages on our on-campus housing page.
LEAVE AT HOME
Due to potential fire hazards, the University Fire Safety Policy prohibits the following items:
- Appliances with exposed heating elements including microwave/convection oven combination units
- Candles, incense and oil lamps – Even if they are being used as decoration.
- Extension cords
- Floor lamps that have flexible arms – Some floor lamps of this style have melted their plastic shades and started fires. You may see them with colorful plastic lamp shades.
- Hot plates · toasters · toaster ovens · hot pots · outdoor/indoor grill · waffle irons · or any similar cooking items
- Lights or lamps with halogen bulbs
- Lofts – Only BGSU beds are permitted.
- Pets – Only fish are permitted.
- Portable heating devices; including portable heaters and electric blankets
- Water beds