The Orientation Leader position is an integral role on BGSU’s campus and will be the first contact for students, families and guests as they arrive on campus. The ideal candidate would be interested in supporting new students and their families’ transition, have a desire to learn more about academic and student life support resources and be committed to working on a team with a unified vision.
Working with the Office of Orientation and Transitions is an opportunity for personal growth and professional leadership development. Each year, a diverse team of mature and dedicated students are selected to assist Orientation and Transitions. Orientation Leaders serve as group facilitators, a resource, and role models for new students and family members.
Do you have any questions?
Please contact the Office of Orientation and Transitions at email@example.com with any questions or concerns.
Thank you for your interest in the Orientation Leader position for the 2024 University Orientation and Fall Welcome programs. University Orientation is a chance for new BGSU students and their guests to learn more about academic and student life at BGSU. Fall Welcome is an opportunity to help first-year students start their transition to BGSU successfully. The Orientation Leader position is an integral role on BGSU’s campus and will be the first contact for students, families, and guests as they arrive on campus.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please review the following details carefully, prior to applying.
Orientation Leaders serve as a guide for students and families during University Orientation and Fall Welcome. Orientation Leaders also perform the following functions:
- Facilitate group discussions and connections between new students throughout University Orientation sessions
- Perform job assignments including greeting guests, providing directions, assisting with check-in, staffing of social events, and all additional responsibilities
- Participate and engage fully in all training sessions, retreats, and team meetings
- Maintain a peer leadership environment with open communication between all team members and the Orientation and Transitions Staff
- Provide general support for all programs, including University Orientation, Fall Welcome, and additional programming as scheduled by the Director of Orientation and Transitions.
- Assist with Weeks of Welcome responsibilities as scheduled by the Director of Orientation and Transitions
- Perform daily placement schedule responsibilities during OOT programs
- Serve as a representative of Bowling Green State University and execute all duties in a professional manner
- Serve as a welcoming ambassador to all students, guests, campus partners, and community members
- Must be enrolled as a full-time undergraduate student through the Fall Semester 2024
- A minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.7 upon applying and maintained throughout their role in this position
- Must be in good conduct standing with BGSU
- Ability to attend and participate in all Orientation Leader trainings
- Ability to work during all University Orientation dates unless approved by professional staff prior to accepting the position
- Must be committed to the Orientation Leader position through Fall Welcome 2024
- Demonstrate strong leadership skills which include ability to speak to large groups, provide leadership to fellow peers, and strong interpersonal communication skills
- Demonstrate the ability to take initiative with staff duties and projects
- Ability to solve problems and think critically
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to lead and support individuals
- Demonstrate the ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Comfortable working independently
- Knowledge of, or an aptitude and willingness to learn about, a wide variety of BGSU resources, services, and traditions
- Desire to develop professionally
- Have an appreciation for working with a diverse population both in groups and individually
- Ability to receive constructive feedback
- Ability to adapt and remain flexible
- Possess a positive attitude throughout the University Orientation program and Fall Welcome
- Possess a strong desire to represent Bowling Green State University and be a positive role model
Orientation Leaders are required to attend and engage in May Training, University Orientation, and additional programs as assigned during Fall Welcome. Please keep the following dates in consideration when applying for this position:
· May 13-17 and May 20-21 (Approximately 8am-5pm)
· May 23, 28, 29, 31 (7am-5pm)
· June 4, 5, 7, 8, 17, 22, 26, 27, 28 (7am-5pm)
· June 21 (virtual orientation) (Timing TBD)
· August 19-25 (Timing will vary each day)
- Complete the application: Submit the application and all supporting documents by 11:59 p.m. ET Monday, Jan. 15 for priority consideration. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until all positions are filled.
- Interviews begin: All applications will be reviewed and candidates will be notified whether they have been selected for an interview.
Updated: 11/06/2023 10:32AM