The Northwest Ohio Center for Excellence aims to advance science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) education for people of all ages. Our purpose is to work with community partners to (a) generate new knowledge about the science of teaching and learning, (b) apply this knowledge by developing the expertise of K-12 educators and higher education faculty, (c) increase public support for, and understanding of, the STEM subject areas, and (d) stimulate the interest of young people, especially those in underrepresented groups, in these rewarding fields of study and career opportunities. The following NWO goals guide this vision.
- Develop the expertise of pre-service and in-service teachers in STEM and STEM education disciplines.
- Attract and retain students in STEM disciplines through a progression of educational opportunities for students, teachers, and faculty.
- Conduct and communicate collaborative research in STEM and STEM education disciplines.
- Develop and sustain a regional collaborative alliance including university, school, informal education, and business partners through a shared vision and collaborative spirit for tackling current STEM education issues.
- Support higher education faculty and future faculty in pursuit of the best practices in STEM and STEM education disciplines to enhance undergraduate and graduate education.
NWO focuses on three C’s – Connections, Communication, and Collaboration – to help expand and enhance STEM teaching and learning in our region. Click on boxes below to learn more.
- Connecting K-12 schools with STEM and STEM education professionals who are willing and qualified to provide consultation and conduct professional development on specific areas.
- Connecting K-12 schools with STEM education experts who are able to provide high-quality STEM programs and curricula.
- Utilizing the NWO STEM Resource Center website to connect Northwest Ohio preK-12 educators and schools with resources around the region that support and advance STEM teaching and learning.
- Monthly NWO STEM education e-newsletter sent to 9,000+ preK-16 educators in Northwest Ohio and around the state.
- NWO staff assistance by phone or email to preK-16 educators requiring effective STEM programming resources.
- Monthly teacher professional development series, annual NWO Symposium on STEM Teaching, and other public events designed to spread the value of STEM across Northwest Ohio.
- Assisting K-12 schools, institutions of higher education, and informal education and business partners in seeking funding and pursuing initiatives to enhance STEM education in Northwest Ohio.
- Connecting K-12 schools with institutions of higher education, informal education institutions, and business partners who can help meet specific STEM education needs.
- Providing evaluation services for NWO partners who have grant projects in STEM education.
- Working with K-16 schools to research effective practices and assessment in STEM teaching and learning.
If you are using a school email address, please make sure your tech coordinator allows emails from NWO [firstname.lastname@example.org] through all firewalls.
NWO gratefully acknowledges funding from the Ohio Board of Regents, the Ohio Department of Education, and the National Science Foundation. NWO also appreciates the valuable assistance of the Ohio STEM Learning Network (OSLN) in fostering collaboration throughout the State for optimizing STEM learning outcomes.
NWO serves 29 Counties in Northwest Ohio
Allen • Ashland • Auglaize • Crawford • Defiance • Erie • Fulton • Hancock • Hardin • Henry • Huron • Knox • Logan • Lorain • Lucas • Marion • Mercer • Morrow • Ottawa • Paulding • Putnam • Richland • Sandusky • Seneca • Shelby • Van Wert • Williams • Wood • Wyandot
Updated: 08/11/2023 08:57AM