Sale of University Vehicles
The Purchasing Department is the responsible agency for the processing and disposal of items which are no longer needed or usable by Bowling Green State University (BGSU). This centralization is important to ensure compliance with applicable state statutes and to match the surplus property of one University department with the needs of another. The goal is to redistribute property to other University departments whenever feasible.
When a department chair or director makes a determination that a department owned vehicle is no longer needed or useable, the department has four options to dispose of the vehicle:
- Sell the vehicle to another University department.
- Donate the vehicle to another University department.
- Trade in the vehicle to a dealership towards the purchase of another vehicle.
- Sell the vehicle in the University surplus property auction.
For any of the above options, you must notify the Director of Business Operations who will:
- Transfer the vehicle on the vehicle asset inventory (for options 1 and 2).
- Remove the vehicle from the vehicle asset inventory (for options 3 and 4).
- Prepare the vehicle title (for options 3 and 4).
- Notify Risk Management of the vehicle transfer or removal from the vehicle asset inventory.