We’re excited to have you join us for University Orientation. Participation is required, as it is a vital part of the start to your successful college journey. Throughout the program you’ll learn more about the BGSU community, academic and co-curricular expectations and opportunities to shape your experience.
Orientation is an all-day program. There is a lot of information to cover about your transition and many action items you must complete before leaving campus. Expect to be on campus from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. EDT. Please keep this in mind, especially if traveling from far away to attend.
If you would like to stay overnight in Bowling Green before or after orientation, you can find a list of local accommodations on our Travel & Accommodations webpage.
Prepare for Orientation
Join the conversation on the BGSU Class of 2027 Facebook group to begin connecting with other new students. You will also see important updates about orientation and other BGSU resources and services.
We also didn't forget about the families and guests who support our falcons! Families can follow our @bgsufamilies Facebook page to stay connected with BGSU throughout the year.
What to Bring to Orientation
Throughout the day, you will be traveling between buildings across campus so it's important you come prepared for the weather.
- A jacket or sweater – Even in the summer, it can get cool sitting in the air conditioned rooms!
- Comfortable walking shoes
- Umbrella or poncho
- A bag or backpack
It's also a good idea to check your To Do List in your MyBGSU. You may find the following documentation you need to bring listed.
- A copy of transcripts, grades, course list, etc. from College Credit Plus or courses taken at another institution if you are currently enrolled in classes and have not yet submitted an official transcript to the Office of Admissions.
- One of the following forms of identification:
We can't wait to meet you!
Check-in for Orientation begins at 8 a.m. in the Bowen-Thompson Student Union (BTSU). Please arrive no later than 9 a.m. EDT. All Oientation guest parking will be free in parking lots 7B, 7C and 7D.
We have put together a list of resources to help you with your travel to BGSU, including transportation options, overnight accommodations and details on how to book your stay in a residence hall (summer only) on our Travel & Accommodations web page.
Important note about guests: You are encouraged to pre-register family members and guests to avoid unnecessary delays. If you need to add a guest, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 419-372-0353 for assistance.
- 8-9 a.m.
- Check-in will take place in the Bowen-Thompson Student Union (BTSU). At check-in, you will also have the opportunity to have your photo taken for your BG1 Card if needed. Submit a photo before your arrive.
- Campus Resource Fair
- Required & Recommended Open House Sessions:
Honors College students are required to attend this meeting to learn about the Honors College and meet staff members. Family and guests are encouraged to attend.
Students who are part of a BGSU athletic team are required to attend this meeting with staff members from Student Athlete Services. Family members and guests are encouraged to attend.
Recipients of the Thompson Working Families Scholarship Program - Welcome to the Thompson Scholarship Family!
We invite you to meet some of our staff and other Thompson Family Scholars that you will be working and interacting with next year. Learn more about our scholarship program and the support available, including our required early move-in program/orientation, and ask questions you still have, so you feel the most prepared for your journey ahead as a BGSU Thompson Family Scholar. This is an open house, so swing by when you have some time this morning, and feel free to bring your guests. We can't wait to meet you!
- 9-9:30 a.m. Orientation Welcome Session
- 9:30-10 a.m. Designing your BGSU Experience
- 10:15-11 a.m.
- Students Meet your Orientation Leader
- Family & Guests Parent & Family Connections
- Students Meet your Orientation Leader
- 11:15 a.m. to Noon
- Students Lunch
- Family & Guests Know What You Owe & Get the Most Out of Your Investment
- 12:15-1 p.m.
- Students Find Your Flock
- Family & Guests Lunch
- 1:15-2 p.m. Community of Care
- 2:15-3 p.m. College Sessions
- 3-5 p.m. Afternoon Sessions
- Money Matters
- Meet with an Academic Advisor and Planner
- Meet with a Life Design Coach
- Aviation: Preparing for Takeoff
- Residence Hall & Campus Tours*
- Accessibility Services Open House
*Orientation leaders will be available to take you on a residence hall tour of sample rooms and non-residential campus tours during these specified times. If your residence hall is not listed, the Orientation leaders will be able to recommend a different building to tour that has similar furniture, room size, etc.
Facilities used for Orientation are barrier free. Accessible parking is available in parking lots for guests who properly display a current state-issued disability placard in accordance with Ohio Revised Code. Please notify us of your needs for accommodations at least one week prior to your arrival by returning to your online reservation, emailing email@example.com, or calling our office at 419-372-0353.
To our guests with disabilities, please indicate if you need special services, assistance or appropriate modifications to fully participate in this event by contacting Accessibility Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or 419-372-8495 prior to the event.
Updated: 05/25/2023 09:50AM