What is the Falcon Marching Band?
- Founded in 1923, the Falcon Marching Band has maintained a strong presence on campus since the beginning.
- School Colors: Orange and Brown
- Fight Song: Forward Falcons
- Alma Mater: Bowling Green Alma Mater
- Stadium: The Doyt Perry Stadium
- Director: Dr. Michael King
The Falcon Marching Band uses both high-step and low-step marching techniques: the high-powered chair-step is used during the pre-game performance to accent the band's visual ability while a traditional glide step is used during half-time.
The instrumentation of the Falcon Marching Band is similar to the average United States marching band style, consisting of:
- Alto saxophones
- Tenor saxophones
- Drumline: Snares, Tenor drums, Cymbals, Bass Drums
- Color Guard
The Falcon Marching Band repertoire includes pieces from classic rock, funk, today's pop hits, alternative rock, disco, ska, and many more genres. We also perform school songs and pieces commissioned specifically for the ensemble.
School songs performed by the Falcon Marching Band:
- Forward Falcons
- Go BG Warriors
- Ay Ziggy Zoomba
Commissioned music for the Falcon Marching Band:
- Frontiers, Ryan Nowlin (Composer)
- New Frontiers, Ryan Nowlin (Composer)
The Falcon Marching Band has members from every walk of life in the band, from Music Performance majors to Marketing majors, from first-year students to fifth-year veterans.
Below is a breakdown of band membership according to multiple criteria:
- Ohio (90%)
- Northwest Ohio (33%)
- Northeast Ohio (25%)
- Central Ohio (17%)
- Southwest Ohio (11%)
- Southeast Ohio (1%)
- Michigan (4%)
- Pennsylvania (3%)
- Other (5%)
Major (By college)
- College of Musical Arts (30%)
- College of Arts and Sciences (32%)
- College of Education and Human Development (11%)
- College of Health and Human Services (10%)
- College of Business (9%)
- College of Technology, Architecture, and Applied Engineering (5%)
- Undecided (3%)
Years of Membership in the Falcon Marching Band
- 1st Year (48%)
- 2nd Year (26%)
- 3rd Year (16%)
- 4th Year (9%)
- 5th Year (1%)
Involvement is a strong part of the Falcon Marching Band. Within the band, there are multiple ways to actively help the program. A few positions include:
- Section Leader
- Squad Leader
- Uniform Committee
- Drum Major
Join the Band
Students of any major and class standing are able to march with the Falcon Marching Band.
All students with band experience are encouraged to register for the Falcon Marching Band. In order to join the band:
- Brass, Woodwinds, Color Guard and Twirlers: Register for MUSP 4390E 74438 1001
- Percussion: Register for MUSP 4390E 75050 1002
Audition and Selection Information
All woodwind and brass players interested in joining the FMB must sign up for the course and attend Fundamentals Week. "Fundies" week introduces the fundamentals of the FMB marching style, establishes the membership in the full-time performing “block,” and provides old and new members alike the chance to feel part of our special family.
There will be three camps for percussion auditions in addition to the beginning of Fundamentals Week. Students who attend all camps will be given preference in the audition process. Audition music will be provided prior to each of the audition dates.
Find these dates on the Drumline Webpage.
Questions? Email Drew Parent at email@example.com.
In order to be considered for Color Guard, you must attend the audition date prior to Fundamentals Week. Students interested in participating should consider attending a spin clinic.
AUDITIONS: Saturday, April 13, 2018 from 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. in Eppler South Gym 102 (Upstairs)
Spin Clinic Dates:
Saturday, March 23, 2019 - 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. in Eppler South Gym 102 (Upstairs)
Saturday, March 30, 2019 - 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. in Eppler South Gym 102 (Upstairs)
- If interested or have any questions, please contact the color guard directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There will be one audition date prior to Fundamentals Week. You must be enrolled at BGSU to audition.
Additionally, candidates must turn in the following to the band office by Monday, July 9th, 2019:
- 3 Letters of Recommendation
If interested please contact Dr. Kathy Siebenaler Wilson at email@example.com.
Audition date for the 2019-20 school year:
Saturday, August 3, 2019 from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Eppler South Gym 102 (Upstairs)