The Cooperative Education and Internship Program is a collaborative effort between Bowling Green State University, students, and employers. The employer provides a safe work environment, supervision, and instruction that helps a student acquire the skills and knowledge needed in their field of study. The student must work a minimum of 100 hours during a minimum of 6 weeks in a semester as part of the program and register their experience as a Co-Op 50 course. The only exception is for Winter Session, in which a student must work a minimum of 100 hours during a minimum of 3 weeks.
The following agreement may be terminated by the employer or the University for good and sufficient cause by providing reasonable, advanced written notice, and agree to indemnify each other from any claims or liability.
Employers Agree To:
- Respond promptly to all Career Center and student communication
- Hire student without discrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status
- Complete and return the Employer Verification form to finalize student registration
- Provide Workers’ Compensation and other employment benefits to the student to the extent required by law
- Orient the student to their specific roles and responsibilities in the organization
- Relate work assignments as fully as possible to the student’s field of study and career interests
- Provide meaningful supervision and conduct periodic appraisals of the student’s performance, to be shared with the student
- Inform the Career Center about any cause of dissatisfaction or misconduct on behalf of the student
- Be available for a site visit, as requested, by the Career Center
- Notify the Career Center of any changes in the student’s status including employment and termination dates, promotions, and disciplinary actions
- Complete the online employer evaluation form at the end of the student’s experience
Students Agree To:
- Register cooperative education or internship experience through Handshake
- Be actively enrolled in a undergraduate or graduate program at the University during experience
- Complete experience only with employers approved by the Career Center
- Respond promptly to all Career Center and employer communication
- Maintain personal health insurance or student health insurance
- Obtain automobile liability insurance if required by the employer
- Acquire professional liability insurance through Bowling Green State University if required by the employer
- Perform specific roles and responsibilities as outlined in the position description
- Comply with all rules, regulations, and policies by the employer and University
- Report changes in student status or employment concerns to the Career Center and direct supervisor
- Complete the online student evaluation form at the end of each experience
To access the Co-Op 50 Course Registration, you must log into your Handshake account and click on Resources under the Career Center section.
For additional information about the Cooperative Education and Internship Program, please contact the Career Center at 419-372-2356 or email@example.com.