Class of 2025 Welcomed into the Schmidthorst Community

Written by Sydney Flora, Schmidthorst Communications Intern


The Schmidthorst College of Business is excited to welcome the Class of 2025 to campus! Approximately 390 freshmen began their journeys at BGSU and started their fall semester classes.

 This SCoB class is very diverse with 14% of students representing American Indian, Asian, African American, and Hispanic cultures. 64% of the incoming class identifies as male and the other 36% identifies as female. This freshmen class contains students from 11 states including 352 from Ohio and 18 from Michigan. There are also first years from across the world including students from Canada, Russia, Denmark, Ghana, and Vietnam.

The top female name is Olivia with 5 and the top male names are Luke and Nathan, with 7 of each. This year’s class is unique as it came to us with almost 100% virtual recruiting.  This class learned about the SCoB through on-line information sessions, digital mock lectures, and interactive student panels.  This class represents the highest level of interaction of digital technology in our history!

Student Ambassadors Lead Minute to Win It Game

Freshmen attended a campus-wide Convocation on the lawn outside of the Bowen-Thompson Student Union and then were led to a lunch with Schmidthorst staff, faculty, and Peer Leaders, second year students who serve as a resource for first year students. After lunch, Dean Raymond Braun welcomed the students to the business community and the Student Ambassadors, students who assist the Dean in engaging the current students, led a variety of games including Kahoot and Minute to Win It to encourage student engagement. Mearl Sutton, a favorite professor among current students, gave a motivational presentation on how to achieve success.

Class of 2025 attend their first class

The incoming freshmen then attended their first class, Intro to Business, to become familiar with the business program. They were able to ask questions about assimilating from high school to college to a panel of faculty, Student Ambassadors, and Peer Leaders.

The Class of 2025 are eager to begin their college careers.


Jenna Stickler, a freshman from Bowling Green, said “I’m most excited about meeting new people and fellow classmates.”


"I'm most excited about meeting all my teachers," said Ryan George, a first year student from Toledo. "I'm thinking about going into business administration and want to learn how to make business decisions."


“This group of students is outstanding” says Susan Kosakowski, recruitment manager. “We are excited to see them succeed and grow into business professionals over the course of their time in the Schmidthorst College of Business."

This will be the first class of freshmen who can fully enjoy the newly built Maurer Center as nearly 100% of fall semester classes will be held in person this year!

Updated: 08/30/2021 03:52PM