Campus Tour Guide Application
Do you remember the first time you visited Bowling Green State University (BGSU)? More than likely, your Tour Guide was one of the first people you met!
BGSU Campus Tour Guides promote and personalize the University for prospective students, their families, and other guests on campus tours. Through these guided tours of campus, Tour Guides share their BGSU story and experiences, educate visitors about general pre-admission requirements, academic and campus life, as well as the history, traditions and achievements of the University. Being a Campus Tour Guide allows you to leave a first and lasting impression of Bowling Green State University on visitors. You are truly changing lives one tour at a time!
Guided tours last approximately 90 minutes and include the highlights of campus for a typical student (Bowen-Thompson Student Union, a Residence Hall, a Dining Facility, Student Recreation Center, the newly-built Maurer Center, etc). Tours may be given to prospective freshman students, prospective transfer students and even some alumni or University candidates.
Tour Guides are required to attend monthly meetings to stay up-to-date on admissions items and engage with the rest of the guides in the Tour Guide program. There are also many other opportunities for Tour Guides to get more involved in the Office of Admissions whether that is at the front desk, virtually, on camera or through administrative work, too!
CAMPUS TOUR GUIDE QUALIFICATIONS
- Excellent public speaking skills
- Positive ambassador of BGSU
- Customer service skills
- Must be in good academic standing with their major
- Passionate about Bowling Green State University and sharing your BGSU story with prospective students
- All applicants must be available to be a tour guide for a total of two or more semesters. Applicants will not be selected if they are graduating seniors, or in a major that does not allow them to fulfill the three semester minimum.
- All applicants already employed on campus must have enough available hours (6 or more hours per week) to dedicate to the tour guide position without exceeding the 28 hour mark.
- First, you must complete the online application. In your application you will be asked to sign up for an audition time slot. The application closes on Friday, October 29 at 11:59 p.m. Applications will not be accepted once the deadline has passed. You will hear from us no later than Monday, November 1 at 5 p.m. about whether or not you are moving on to the audition stage.
- If selected to move on in the hiring process, auditions will be held on Sunday, November 7 throughout the day in University Hall. When selecting your audition time, please note that you are expected to stay for the full hour.
- If you are interested in applying but are unable to attend the auditions on 11/07 please contact Matt Studenmund at email@example.com to discuss your circumstance and determine if there is another option to allow for you to audition.
- For your audition, you are asked to prepare a 90 second speech about a BGSU-related topic with which you are familiar (i.e. a club sport, organization, campus location, etc.). This speech should be no more than 90 seconds and should be presented as though you were addressing campus visitors who know nothing about the topic.
- We will narrow the field of applicants and email the individuals who have been selected to move on to the interview portion of the hiring process on Sunday, November 7; you will then be able to select an interview time slot.
- The interviews will be on November 9, 10, and 12 throughout the day, in-person - again, if you have a conflict, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- On Friday, November 19, a final email will be sent to all who interviewed to notify whether or not they were selected to be a Campus Tour Guide.
- If selected, there is a fast turnaround time to get your documentation into Student Employment Services. We encourage all students applying to begin gathering documentation at the time of applying to ensure you will be able to have your paperwork processed prior to the orientation date. Below is a link to view what documentation is needed. Be sure to note photocopies are not accepted.
- Additionally, if selected as a BGSU Campus Tour Guide, you will receive extensive training with a mentor tour guide to make sure you are able to provide guests with the most accurate and genuine campus tours possible! We will make sure you are well-informed and comfortable before giving your first tour.
- There will also be a mandatory New Tour Guide Orientation - time and location TBD.
Questions? Please contact the Student Tour Coordinators in the BGSU Campus Tour Guide Office at email@example.com or 419-372-9866.
Updated: 10/12/2021 03:32PM