International Recruitment

The University has a diverse international student population who bring unique talents and perspectives to our community. We encourage our employer partners to review these special considerations when recruiting and hiring our international students for experiential learning or full-time employment opportunities to ensure adherence to federal guidelines.

Curricular Practical Training (CPT):

  • Application filed by student and processed in 1-2 weeks
  • Designated School Official approves request and provides documentation on Form I-20 to show approval for employment
  • Experience must be related to student’s field of study as an approved internship or cooperative education
  • Student can work part-time or full-time as a paid or unpaid opportunity

Optional Practical Training (OPT):

  • Application filed by student and processed in 60-90 days
  • United States Citizenship and Immigration Services approves request and issues document to show employment authorization
  • Student remains on the F-1 visa during a maximum 12 month Optional Practical Training period
  • Student majoring in science, technology, engineering, or mathematics may be eligible for an additional 24 months

H-1B Visa:

  • Application filed by employer with a cap of 65,000 H-1B visas issued each fiscal year and an additional 20,000 for students with a master’s degree or higher
  • Student must have an employer-employee relationship with a petitioning U.S. employer
  • Experience must qualify as a specialty occupation related to a student’s field of study by meeting set criteria
  • Student must be paid at least the actual or prevailing wage for occupation, whichever is higher

For additional information about international recruitment, please refer to the U.S. Department of Labor's Guidelines. You also can contact the Kuhlin Hub Career Design and Connections at 419-372-2356 or

Updated: 05/15/2023 04:34PM