If you want a career where you'll make a positive change in the way sport is managed and earn your degree from one of the largest and most diversified undergraduate sport management programs in North America, the sport management program is for you.
With one of the country's oldest sport management programs, BGSU is nationally known for producing outstanding graduates in sport management. From sport licensing to sport marketing and sport business, your opportunities are waiting.
Internships and Careers
Our alumni sport management graduates hold posts all over the country in the sport industry. Your career options are as far-reaching as your ambition, from brand management to sponsorship coordination.
You’ll get a jump start with our rigorous internship program. BGSU sport management majors have benefited from internships with such well known organizations as the Special Olympics, Atlanta Braves, Chicago Bulls, Cleveland Indians, Detroit Tigers and United States Tennis Association.
GO FAR in your career
- Athletics director
- Facility manager
- Event manager
- Suite and hospitality sales for an arena or stadium
- Ticket manager
- Marketing coordinator
- Director of fan experiences
- Sport information director or communications coordinator
Upon completion of the baccalaureate degree, students in Sport Management are expected to be able to:
- Explain that sport is a microcosm of society and is influenced by cultural traditions, social values, and psycho-social experiences;
- Explain the concepts of management and leadership and describe the various skills, roles, and functions of sport managers;
- Identify and explain moral issues related to sport in its intrinsic and extrinsic dimensions;
- Apply fundamental marketing concepts to the sport industry and understand sport as a product, and those unique aspects of the sport consumer and product markets;
- Apply and evaluate principles of interpersonal communication, mass communications, public relations, and interaction with the public, particularly related to sport agencies;
- Explain why budget and finance is a critical component of all sport-related industries and evaluate economic principles related to sport's fit in the national economy;
- Explain the legal concepts within the sport workplace and evaluate the role of sport governance agencies, including their authority, organizational structure, and functions.
Bowling Green State University [BGSU] is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. BGSU has been accredited by the Higher Learning Commission since 01/01/1916. The most recent reaffirmation of accreditation was received in 2012 - 2013. Questions should be directed to the Office of Institutional Effectiveness.
The Sport Management program is accredited by the Commission on Sport Management Accreditation (COSMA) and is in good standing.
Bowling Green State University programs leading to licensure, certification and/or endorsement, whether delivered online, face-to-face or in a blended format, satisfy the academic requirements for those credentials set forth by the State of Ohio.
Requirements for licensure, certification and/or endorsement eligibility vary greatly from one profession to another and from state to state. The Sport Management program does not lead to professional licensure.
Under the Higher Education Act Title IV disclosure requirements, an institution must provide current and prospective students with information about each of its programs that prepares students for gainful employment in a recognized occupation.
The Sport Management program is not a recognized occupation that requires a Gainful Employment disclosure.