- BBachelors Available
- Bachelor'sBachelors Available
Bachelor of Science
Medical Laboratory Sciences
Medical Laboratory Science (MLS) is the profession devoted to the diagnosis and management of illness by analysis of blood, body fluids and tissues. MLS professionals perform hundreds of laboratory tests that are used by physicians to determine the cause of illness
and the extent of injury.
Internships and Careers
Students pursue a guaranteed 18-week clinical practicum at one of 13 affiliated medical centers. Internship programs provide students hands-on learning and allow them to apply their knowledge to real-world problems and situations.
Internships provide a mode of networking as well as making invaluable contacts with practitioners and professionals in the field.
Average Starting Salary & BGSU Placement Rate
$50,000* BGSU Medical Laboratory Science graduates average starting salary
100% of graduates report they're employed, in graduate school or starting a business within six months of graduation
(BGSU data compiled from students who completed the related questions on the graduation survey.)
GO FAR in your career
- Hospital and Private Laboratories
- Medical and Pharmaceutical Research
- Public Health
- Specialized Laboratory Departments
- Sales and Marketing
- Infection Control
Upon completion of the baccalaureate degree, students in Medical Laboratory Science (formerly Medical Technology) are expected to:Perform routine and complex laboratory procedures (blood banking, clinical chemistry, immunology, hematology, and microbiology) accurately;
- Correlate results of laboratory tests to their clinical significance and make appropriate recommendations;
- Perform quality control and assurance procedures, implementing and documenting corrective action as appropriate;
- Demonstrate proper safety protocols and apply techniques to improve laboratory safety;
- Demonstrate the code of ethics for medical laboratory scientists, along with meeting professional expectations;
- Critically evaluate new instrumentation and methods, and select appropriate procedures;
- Critically evaluate research findings through the review of medical literature.
Bowling Green State University [BGSU] is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. BGSU has been accredited by the Higher Learning Commission since 01/01/1916. The most recent reaffirmation of accreditation was received in 2012 - 2013. Questions should be directed to the Office of Institutional Effectiveness.
The Medical Laboratory Science program is accredited by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS) and is in good standing. More information on accreditation.
NAACLS 5600 N. River Rd, Suite 720 Rosemont IL 60018-5119; ph: 773.714.8880; firstname.lastname@example.org
Bowling Green State University programs leading to licensure, certification and/or endorsement, whether delivered online, face-to-face or in a blended format, satisfy the academic requirements for those credentials set forth by the State of Ohio.
Requirements for licensure, certification and/or endorsement eligibility vary greatly from one profession to another and from state to state. The Medical Laboratory Science program leads to professional licensure. More information on professional licensure.
Under the Higher Education Act Title IV disclosure requirements, an institution must provide current and prospective students with information about each of its programs that prepares students for gainful employment in a recognized occupation.
The Medical Laboratory Science program is not a recognized occupation that requires a Gainful Employment disclosure.
* Job placement and salary information was compiled by the Office of Academic Assessment through the Graduation Survey from AY2015-2018. The data are gathered around the time of Commencement and a follow-up survey six months post Commencement. For the salary question, data for programs with fewer than fifteen responses are not included. Salaries for those programs are from the National Association of Colleges and Employers Summer 2019 Survey. For questions regarding the data, contact email@example.com.
Updated: 01/12/2024 12:38PM