In the academic year 1914-15 Hesser established three choral groups, in order from first to last, The Treble Cleff Club (24 voices); the May Festival Chorus (200 voices); and the Philharmonic Club (75 voices). These are their descriptions in the section on student activities in the earliest Normal College catalogue (1914):
Treble Cleff Club
(Girls' Glee Club). Membership is limited to twenty-four voices chosen according to singing ability. Programs are given consisting of the best part-songs, choruses, and ballads, written for ladies voices.
The Treble Clef Club had a long life of 43 years. The position of Director of the group was consistent over its first 14 years (Ernest G. Hesser, the Richard M. Tunnicliffe), and the last 21 years (James Paul Kennedy). Only the period 1928 through 1936 saw a rapid turnover in conductors.
Ernest G. Hesser 1914-1920
Richard M. Tunnicliffe 1920-1928
Matilda Morlock 1928-29
Marian D. Hall 1929-31; 1932-34
Minnie Stensland 1931-32
Margaret Scruggs 1935-36
James Paul Kennedy 1936-1957
The first recorded picture of the ensemble was taken in 1918 on the steps of Williams Hall, then the women’s dormitory.
Updated: 03/30/2022 02:06PM