Move for Your Mood
There are 1,440 minutes in a day...Dedicate 2% of yours to moving and enhancing your health and well-being!
We're partnering with multiple offices and groups on campus to deliver this exciting and innovative programming to you - to provide the experience and motivation that might just SPARK your very own inspired, active, healthy, and well lifestyle!
Did you know...
In addition to the physical health benefits of exercise, regular physical activity plays an important role in mental acuity and cognitive function.
- Exercise can boost mood by triggering the release of feel-good hormones and chemicals, like endorphins, which can boost energy levels and promote positive feelings.
- Regular aerobic exercise can reduce anxiety by making your brain’s “fight or flight” system less reactive and it can reduce depressive symptoms.
- Exercise directly affects your brain and improves brain function!
- Exercise increases levels of a neurotransmitter called BDNF, which helps build brain cells and improves transmission of nervous system signals through the brain.
- Exercise leads to stronger, healthier, better-connected, bigger brain cells = increased learning capacity!
Moderate physical exercise, such as walking, can also boost memory functions.
Inspired by the book SPARK: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain, by John J. Ratey, MD., we are collaborating with offices, departments, and student organizations to conduct movement sessions demonstrating the positive effects of exercise and providing education to attendees.
Here's what participants in these sessions have to say about Move For Your Mood!
"I just want to take the time to say a huge THANK YOU!! I attended the Hip Hop Fitness for the #MOVE4YOURMOOD and I loved it!! I have already purchased the semester membership and have been to a class before tonight. I’m so happy since I’ve made the move to Bowling Green and I can’t wait to see the change in my health! Thank you so much once again!"
We’ll come to your group meeting or special event and conduct a movement session specially designed for you! Sessions are developed based on the interests, experience, and fitness level of your group. Recreation and Wellness instructors and students/mentors lead a movement session followed by sharing of valuable information and resources about exercise and the positive effects it has on well being. First-time participants receive a t-shirt (while supplies last) and a voucher to participate in continuing Recreation and Wellness programming.
Students interested in becoming instructors also have the opportunity to become part of our Move For Your Mood instructor mentoring program. If you're inspired by our mission, through participating in a movement session, or just have a passion for well-being and want to get involved, contact Karyn Smith, Health Educator, to learn more: email@example.com | 419.372.9309
Summer 2021 Programming
- Wednesdays, June 2, 9 and 16
- 12:10 – 12:50 PM
- Eppler South Gym
- Sessions include strength training exercises, low-impact cardiovascular movements and flexibility training. Changing into comfortable athletic shoes is recommended.
For More Information:
Health Educator, BGSU Division of Health and Wellness
419-372-9309 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Past classes can be viewed on the @BGSURecWell on Instagram
Assumption of Risk
If you engage in the virtual exercise classes, you agree that you do so at your own risk, are voluntarily participating in these activities, assume all risk of injury to yourself and agree to release and discharge RecWell and all employees and/or successors from any and all claims of action, known or unknown, or arising out of RecWell’s negligence.
Below is a list of additional resources and educational materials that can help you learn about the benefits of exercise and how staying active can help you achieve your reduce stress, improve your mood, and better achieve academic, professional, and personal well being goals.