Move for Your Mood
There are 1,440 minutes in a day...Dedicate 2% of yours to moving and enhancing your health and well-being!
We're teaming up with the Division of Student Affairs to deliver this exciting and innovative programming to you - to provide the experience and motivation that might just SPARK your very own inspired, active, healthy, and well lifestyle!
Did you know...
In addition to the physical health benefits of exercise, regular physical activity plays an important role in mental acuity and cognitive function.
- Exercise can boost mood by triggering the release of feel-good hormones and chemicals, like endorphins, which can boost energy levels and promote positive feelings.
- Regular aerobic exercise can reduce anxiety by making your brain’s “fight or flight” system less reactive and it can reduce depressive symptoms.
- Exercise directly affects your brain and improves brain function!
- Exercise increases levels of a neurotransmitter called BDNF, which helps build brain cells and improves transmission of nervous system signals through the brain.
- Exercise leads to stronger, healthier, better-connected, bigger brain cells = increased learning capacity!
Moderate physical exercise, such as walking, can also boost memory functions.
Inspired by the book SPARK: The Revolutionary New Science of Exerise and the Brain, by John J. Ratey, MD., we are collaborating with offices, departments, and student organizations to conduct movement sessions demonstrating the positive effects of exercise and providing education to attendees.
Here's what participants in these sessions have to say about Move For Your Mood!
"I just want to take the time to say a huge THANK YOU!! I attended the Hip Hop Fitness for the #MOVE4YOURMOOD and I loved it!! I have already purchased the semester membership and have been to a class before tonight. I’m so happy since I’ve made the move to Bowling Green and I can’t wait to see the change in my health! Thank you so much once again!"
We’ll come to your group meeting or special event and conduct a movment session specially designed for you! Sessions are developed based on the interests, experience, and fitness level of your group. Recreation and Wellness instructors and students/mentors lead a movement session followed by sharing of valuable information and resources about exercise and the positive effects it has on well being. First-time participants receive a t-shirt (while supplies last) and a voucher to participate in continuing Recration and Wellness programming.
Students interested in becoming instructors also have the opportunity to become part of our Move For Your Mood instructor mentoring program. If you're inspired by our mission, through participating in a movement session, or just have a passion for well-being and want to get involved, contact Karyn Smith, Health Educator, to learn more: email@example.com | 419.372.9309
All movement sessions are FREE and open to students, staff, and faculty. No experience is required, so come as you are! Please bring a yoga mat or towel if possible for Yoga as You Are and wear comfortable athletic shoes for other sessions.
- Dates: September 9 - December 12
- Time: 12:10 - 12:50 PM
- Location: Eppler South Gym (located on the 2nd floor)
- Mondays: Yoga As You Are
No class on Monday, November 11 (Veterans' Day)
- Tuesdays/Thursdays: Beginner Strength Training
No class on Thursday, November 28 (Thanksgiving Break)
Below is a list of additional resources and educational materials that can help you learn about the benefits of exercise and how staying active can help you achieve your reduce stress, improve your mood, and better achieve academic, professional, and personal well being goals.
- Exercise Recommendations for Adults
- Exercising with Anxiety and Depression
- Exercise to Boost Job Performance
- Beyond the Feel-Good Factor: Exercise and Mental Health
- How Simply Moving Benefits Your Mental Health
- Exercise to Reduce Symptoms of Anxiety and Depression
- The Benefits of Exercise on Mental Health
- Improve Your Mood with Exercise