Composite image of grey background

Veteran Support Services

Nontraditional and Military Student Services is here to aid Veterans in their transition to becoming BGSU students and to continue assisting throughout your college career. Our goal is to provide one place where you can find answers to all of your questions about returning to college or attending college for the first time.

Here for | U

Not only does BGSU welcome and support thousands of nontraditional, military and veteran students, it's recognized around the globe as a world-class university. 

Military Times Rankingmilitary times bfv colleges 2021 logo

Bowling Green State University has been ranked 5th in the nation and 1st in the Midwest for veterans and active military students by the Military Times in its Best for Vets: Colleges 2021 rankings.

WE can help with the Enrollment Process

We can answer your questions throughout the admissions process and help you fill out the Application for Admission. Help with making sure that you obtain and submit all of your transcripts from prior schools and the military.

Assist in documenting learning from your prior life experiences that may result in college credit. Help you with choosing a major and career planning.

We can help you make the right choices with your VA Education benefits.

Your first step is to apply for your VA education benefits. You can do this by filling out the Application for Education benefits.  

Once you have obtained your letter of eligibility for VA education benefits you will want to contact our VA certifying official who is located in the Office of Registration and Records and can be reached at 419-372-8413 or

For help choosing what Education benefit is right for you use the GI Bill® Comparison Tool.

Did you know that you may qualify for in-state tuition as a Veteran? For more information click on the link Ohio GI Promise.

BGSU Students need to fill out the VA Intent Form when registering for classes for an upcoming semester.

BGSU's Call-Up Procedure

If you are a Reservist or National Guardsman and your unit is called up during the course of a semester, you should consult the BGSU’s Call-Up Procedure. Nontraditional and Military Student Services can also give you advice on how to contact your instructors before leaving and what the procedure is for reentering the university when you return.

BGSU Resources

Other Resources

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at

Updated: 08/09/2023 03:39PM