General FAQ

A: Review our Graduate Application Deadline page for general guidelines and program specific application and funding deadlines.

A: No, Bowling Green State University does not require the GRE or GMAT for graduate applications.  However, some graduate programs may require the GRE or GMAT as part of their admissions requirements.  Please review the admissions requirements for your program as you prepare your graduate application.

A:  Our education graduate programs may require you to submit your OAE/PRAXIS scores.  Review the admissions requirements for your program as you prepare your graduate application.

A:  Yes. If submitted, GRE/GMAT test scores will be taken into consideration as part of our holistic review process. However, if you choose not to submit them, you will not be penalized and will be considered for admission just the same as students who do submit scores.  

A: A cost calculator can be found on our Bursar’s website to help you determine the overall cost of graduate education.  Regarding tuition, you can estimate your cost of attendance PER SEMSTER by utilizing the graduate tuition calculator. Please note that this does NOT include living expenses.

A:  Yes, we do allow unofficial transcripts for the application.

For domestic institutions, please make sure the following is included:

·       Name of student
·       Name of institution
·       Names and grades of all courses
·       Calculated cumulative GPA (if applicable)

Scanned and uploaded copies of transcripts are acceptable for the application. However, please note that a final official transcript will be required if you are admitted to BGSU. Failure to provide the final official copy of your transcript and degree will result in a registration hold.

For international institutions, please review our International FAQ page for specific requirements.

A: To upload documents to your application file, please use the Application Status Page and steps shown below.  

  • Click on the Application Status Page 
  • The Log-in page will open.
  • Enter the email address and password used to create your application for admission.
  • Review the Application Checklist.
    • Items with a green X have been received.
    • Items with a red X have not been received.
  • Use the Upload Materials section to upload your required documents.
  • Click the drop-down box to select material type to upload
  • Click the Choose File button to select your document file.
  • Select the Upload button to upload the document file.

A: For pending items or application status, please click on the Application Status Page.

A:  For domestic institutions, please wait until after your degree is conferred before requesting your final, official transcript.  To request a transcript, you should contact your college or university registrar and ask that it be sent directly to Graduate College Admissions electronically at or to the following mailing address:

Bowling Green State University
Graduate College Admissions
200 University Hall
Bowling Green, Ohio 43403

Please note:  Only domestic institutions may provide final, official transcripts electronically.

For internataional institutions, please see our International FAQ page for details on what is required.

A: We only permit applicants to defer one time.  To submit your request to defer your start term, please go to your application status portal and login.  Look for the Forms area (under the Application Checklist area) and choose Deferral Form (in orange).

You have until the 14th day of your admit term to request the deferral.

A: We only permit applicants to defer once. Since you have already deferred once, you will need to start a new application.  This is a simple process--open your application portal and select New Application.  Complete and submit this application for the new term.  All transcripts and test scores may be transferred to the new application.  Just let us know when your new application is complete and we can move any remaining materials over that you were not able to move yourself.

A: Admission decisions are made by the program faculty using a holistic admissions review process. If you have specific questions about the decision, please contact the department directly. 

A: Most students who receive a graduate assistantship are awarded that opportunity directly from their department after a decision has been made on their application.  You are highly encouraged you to reach out directly to your department for more information about graduate assistantship positions and their application process, if admitted.

Some students find graduate assistantships outside of their academic department.  You can review available assistantships on our website.

Updated: 09/28/2023 09:13AM