Shannon K. Orr, Ph.D.
Coordinator, Masters of Public Administration
Office Location: 118 Williams Hall
- Associate Professor of Political Science
Dr. Shannon Orr works in the area of environmental policy with particular attention to the tension among competing interests in the policy formation process. Her research includes the areas of national parks policy and climate change negotiations at the United Nations. She has published research in Policy Studies Journal, PS: Political Science and Politics, State and Local Government Review, American Review of Politics, Journal of Natural Resources Policy, American Journal of Evaluation, Public Opinion Quarterly, International Journal of Politics and Ethics and State Politics and Policy Quarterly among others. Much of her research is survey based and has included surveys of non-governmental organizations from 180 countries, as well as local and regional surveys such as business owners in Banff National Park (Alberta, Canada).
Fields of Study
- Environmental Policy (climate change, protected lands, sustainable development)
- Global Policymaking
- Program Evaluation
- 2005 Ph.D. in Political Science Wayne State University: Detroit, Michigan
Major Area: Public Policy Minor Areas: Comparative Politics, Public Administration
Dissertation: “Organized Interests and International Climate Change Policy”
- 1998 M.A. in Political Studies/International Development University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario
- 1996 B.A. (Hons.) in Political Studies Queen’s University, Kingston, Ontario
- 2012 Shannon Orr and Rebecca Weis “Mission Rivalry: Use and Preservation Conflicts in National Parks Policy” Public Organization Review 12:85-98
- 2011 Shannon Orr “The Private Sector on Public Land – Policy implications of a SWOT Analysis of Banff National Park” Journal of Natural Resources Policy Research
- 2010 Shannon Orr “Facilitating Stakeholder Collaboration in Evaluation” American Journal of Evaluation December 2010 vol. 31(4) 557-569
- 2008 Candace Archer and Shannon Orr “Protecting paradise: a cross-national analysis of biome-protection policies” Sustainability: Science, Practice, & Policy 4(1): pp. 25-37
- 2008 Melissa Miller and Shannon Orr “Experimenting with a ‘Third Way’ in Political Knowledge Estimation” Public Opinion Quarterly 72(4): pp. 768-780
- 2006 Shannon Orr “Policy Subsystems and Regimes: Organized Interests and Climate Change Policy” Policy Studies Journal 34(2): pp. 147-169
- 2005 Shannon Orr “New Technologies and Research Methodology: An Analysis of Internet surveys in political science” PS: Political Science and Politics 38(2) pp. 263-267
- 2002 Shannon Orr “An International Regime Analysis of Outer Space Policy,” The International Journal of Politics and Ethics, 1(4)
- 2009 (Fall) BGSU Institute for the Study of Culture and Society Scholar in Residence
- 2002 Sarasohn Dissertation Fellowship – Wayne State University ($18,000)
- 2002 Wayne State University Doctoral Summer Fellowship ($5000)
- 2001 Social Science and Humanities Research Council Doctoral Fellowship ($17,000)
- 1998 Thomas C. Rumble Doctoral Fellowship - Wayne State University ($18,000)
- 1992 Centennial Scholarship ($5000)
- 1992 Canada Youth Excellence Award
- 1992 W.L. Clark Scholarship ($5000)
- 2011 American Political Science Association Research Grant to study civil society engagement within United Nations Summits.
- 2009 Faculty Mentoring Award BGSU
- 2009 Canadian Embassy Faculty Enrichment Grant ($6000 CDN$) to travel to Ottawa and Toronto to do background research for summer online course on Comparative Public Administration.
- 2007 Canadian Embassy Faculty Research Grant Program ($12,500) to travel to Banff National Park (Banff, Alberta, Canada) to do field interviews and archival research.
- 2006 Faculty Mentoring Award BGSU ($3000) to prepare Canadian Embassy grant proposal on Banff National Park
- 2004 APSA Graduate Student Travel Grant
- 2012 Shannon Orr “Trust in the United Nations: A Comparative Study of the Climate Change Negotiations in Copenhagen and Cancun” presented at the Annual Meeting of the International Studies Association, April 2012, San Diego
- 2011 Shannon Orr and Candace Archer “Conquering Malaria: The Creation and Evolution of International Norms in the Use of DDT” presented at the Annual Meeting of the International Studies Association, March 2011, Montreal
- 2011 Shannon Orr “The Determinants of Trust in the United Nations: A Study of the Climate Change Negotiations in Copenhagen” presented at the Annual Meeting of the International Studies Association, March 2011, Montreal
- 2010 Shannon Orr and Candace Archer “DDT and International Norms” presented at the Annual Meeting of the International Studies Association, Feb 2010, New Orleans.
- 2009 Shannon Orr “Humanizing Ethical Consumption” presented at the Annual Meeting of the International Studies Association, Feb 15-18, 2009, New York City
- 2008 Shannon Orr “So this bear walks into a bar . . . Economic Development in Banff National Park” Presented at the Annual Meeting of the International Studies Association, March 26-29, 2008. San Francisco, CA
- 2007Candace Archer and Shannon Orr “Paving Paradise: A Cross-National Analysis of Protected Land” presented at the Annual Meeting of the International Studies Association Mach 1-4, 2007, Chicago, IL
- 2006 Melissa Miller and Shannon Orr “Don’t Know/Don’t Care: Political Knowledge Tests and the Don’t Know Option” to be presented at the Midwest Political Science Association National Annual Conference. April 20-23, 2006, Chicago, IL
- Currently working on a book manuscript on the 2012 United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development in Rio de Janeiro that examines civil society participation in United Nations treaty negotiations.
- POLS 3350 – Global Resource Politics
- POLS 3360: Environmental Policy and Politics
- POLS 6450 Environmental Management
- POLS 6230 Policy Analysis and Program Evaluation (alternate years)
- POLS 6540 Nonprofit Management (alternate years)