How to Apply
The Ph. D. program in the Photochemical Sciences at Bowling Green State University offers a unique, interdisciplinary research experience that emphasizes studies of the interaction of light with physical, chemical, and biological systems, and on the quest for practical applications of that basic knowledge. The program is designed for students with a background in physics, biological sciences, chemistry or materials science, and features small to medium-sized research groups having strong interaction between research directors.
Admission requirements are a bachelor's degree in chemistry or a related major from an accredited college or university with a GPA of at least 3.0 on a 4-point scale. Students with GPA's between 2.8 and 3.0 may also be admitted provided there are other indicators of likely success in the program, such as high grades in upper-level chemistry courses and experience in academic or industrial research. We no longer require the GRE test from applicants.
If you would like to visit BGSU and learn more about our program, we have planned visit days in the Fall and Spring. Click here for more information on planned visit days.
We are now accepting applications to the Ph.D. in Photochemical Sciences program at Bowling Green State University for Fall Semester 2021 admission.
Application deadline: March 1, 2021
Before beginning the application process, please note the following:
- Our program only admits one time per year for the Fall semester.
- The minimum cumulative undergraduate GPA requirement for applying is 3.0/4.0. The same requirement applies to the cumulative graduate GPA, if applicable. Students with GPA's between 2.8 and 3.0 may also be admitted provided there are other indicators of likely success in the program, such as high grades in upper-level chemistry courses and experience in academic or industrial research.
- Students must have at least a 4-year Bachelor’s degree or a 5-year combined BS/MS degree in order to apply.
- The minimum total TOEFL score required in order to be eligible to apply is 80 on the Internet-based test and 550 on the paper-based test.
- We do not require the GRE test to be taken for the applications.
Applicants are kindly asked not to e-mail to request an evaluation of your TOEFL/IELTS scores or to inquire as to the probability of your being offered admission based on scores. Our Admissions Committee does not make decisions based solely on standardized test scores.
To apply, please submit ALL of the following items:
- Three (3) letters of recommendation - Click on link to submit reference letters. Reference letters can also be mailed or e-mailed to email@example.com). We do not use recommendation forms.
- Official transcripts - Copies can be sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org. However, once admitted, the student must submit original transcripts.
- Official Graduate Record Exam (GRE) is not required.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores or IELTS scores (international students only) - Copies can be e-mailed to email@example.com. BGSU requires a minimum score of 80 on the TOEFL exam. A minimum score of 6.5 will be accepted on the IELTS exam. The BGSU institution code is 1069. The department code is 0399.
For questions about the application process, please contact:
Bowling Green State University
Bowling Green, OH 43403
Updated: 11/30/2020 11:22AM