How to Apply
The Ph. D. program in the Photochemical Sciences at Bowling Green State University offers a unique, interdisciplinary research experience that emphasizes studies of the interaction of light with physical, chemical, and biological systems, and on the quest for practical applications of that basic knowledge. The program is designed for students with a background in physics, biological sciences, chemistry or materials science, and features small to medium-sized research groups having strong interaction between research directors.
Admission requirements are a bachelor's degree in chemistry or a related major from an accredited college or university with a GPA of at least 3.0 on a 4-point scale. Students with GPA's between 2.8 and 3.0 may also be admitted provided there are other indicators of likely success in the program, such as high grades in upper-level chemistry courses and experience in academic or industrial research. The Bowling Green State University requires that all graduate students take the GRE exam.
We are now accepting applications to the Ph.D. in Photochemical Sciences program at Bowling Green State University for Fall Semester 2018 admission.
Before beginning the application process, please note the following:
- Our program only admits one time per year for the Fall semester.
- The minimum cumulative undergraduate GPA requirement for applying is 3.0/4.0. The same requirement applies to the cumulative graduate GPA, if applicable.
- Students must have at least a 4-year Bachelor’s degree or a 5-year combined BS/MS degree in order to apply.
- The minimum total TOEFL score required in order to be eligible to apply is 80 on the Internet-based test and 550 on the paper-based test.
- There is no minimum GRE score required by BGSU in order to be eligible to apply to the Graduate School. We do not require the GRE chemistry subject test.
Applicants are kindly asked not to e-mail to request an evaluation of your GRE or TOEFL scores or to inquire as to the probability of your being offered admission based on scores. Our Admissions Committee does not make decisions based solely on standardized test scores. If you are concerned that your GRE scores are not sufficient, then you could consider taking the test again.
To apply, please submit ALL of the following items:
- Three (3) letters of recommendation - Click on link to submit reference letters. Reference letters can also be mailed or e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org). We do not use recommendation forms.
- Official transcripts - Copies can be sent electronically to email@example.com. However, once admitted, the student must submit original transcripts.
- Official Graduate Record Exam (GRE) scores. BGSU requires that all applicants submit GRE scores (general exam only). There is no minimum GRE score requirement, however most students who are accepted have above average scores on the quantitative section.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores or IELTS scores (international students only) - Copies can be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. BGSU requires a minimum score of 80 on the TOEFL exam. A minimum score of 6.5 will be accepted on the IELTS exam. The BGSU institution code is 1069. The department code is 0399.
- Admission deadline: March 1, 2018
For questions about the application process, please contact:
Bowling Green State University
Bowling Green, OH 43403