Remote Learning Support
The University Libraries are committed to supporting and enabling student academic success at BGSU. As students and faculty adjust to the online delivery of instruction, we would like to remind you about our online resources and remote services, which can be easily accessed from off campus directly through the University Libraries website.
Library hours and services may be subject to change upon new developments and University decisions. Our website will be updated as we are in a rapidly evolving situation. You can also contact us through online chat, email: firstname.lastname@example.org or text: 419-318-1999.
We urge each member of our community to remember that we have personal responsibility for our own health and the health of our family and friends. BGSU has developed an FAQ website to answer the questions we have been receiving from various members of our learning community. This FAQ list may not answer all of your questions, but we will add to it as we make decisions.
Library Services & Collections
- Reserves: If reserve readings from books physically on reserve are essential to your class, contact: email@example.com to request scans of a few specific chapters or to find out if other options including ebooks are available. Please note that we have an extremely limited ability to fill these requests while the library is closed and there will be a delay.
- Print Materials: If you need a book chapter or journal article, go to our ILL page to make a request. Please note that our physical collection, and the collections of many of the institutions from which we would normally borrow, are unavailable or have very limited availability. We will fill your request if possible or let you know if we cannot fill your request.
- Ebooks: The library has an extensive collection of ebooks, many of which are available to an unlimited number of users. Find ebooks by limiting Summon searches to "Full Text online" and "Book/Ebook". Our ebooks LibGuide includes information about our different ebook collections.
- Databases & Ejournals: Start at the UL homepage and use our "All databases" and "Journals by Title" lists in order to be prompted for your BGSU login when connecting to these online resources. Use the E-Resources Troubleshooting Guide for assistance with any problems connecting to resources from off-campus.
- Tutoring: The Learning Commons will be providing virtual support for academic coaching, tutoring, and writing consultations. Visit The Learning Commons page to see a full details on each service provided. If you have questions or concerns, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Research & Instruction Support
- Ask Us! - Visit our Ask Us! page to get research help via online chat, email: email@example.com, or text: 419-318-1999.
- Individual Research Appointments (IRAs) - Schedule a virtual IRA with a librarian using our online form. A librarian will arrange with you the preferred format (videoconferencing, email, phone, chat) for your IRA and send you confirmation.
- Services for Faculty - This webpage includes a variety of instructional and research services, many of which can be used in a distance education environment.
- LibGuides - Our online research guides are designed to help students do research in specific subject areas (like music or environmental sciences).
- Library Instruction Team - Faculty are encouraged to reach out to their subject librarians about incorporating library resources into Canvas, arranging online library instruction covering databases and library resources, or providing virtual research support.
Will I be charged for overdue items?
The UL is working on an auto renew system. Updates will be communicated when available. There will be no fines.
Will tutoring be available?
Virtual tutoring will be available. The Learning Commons will serve students remotely for the remaining of the semester.
Supplemental Instruction is canceled for the remaining of the semester. All FLY Program appointments will be held remotely with Learning Specialists.
The Collab Lab will be providing virtual support for software assistance with the Adobe Suite, the iLife Suite, and the Office Suite. See their website for PDF tutorials and Hoonuit video tutorials. Ask questions or request a WebEx session through Collab Lab chat.
How can I access e-resources?
Access full text resources through Summon, EBSCO, our All Databases list, or our Journals by Title page. Off campus users will be prompted to log in to EZProxy with their BGSU username and password when accessing resources restricted to BGSU users. Problems logging in can be reported to firstname.lastname@example.org.
What streaming video options are available through the library?
A full list of our video streaming services. Our largest and most current collection of streaming video is on Kanopy, but there are some restrictions for access: see our Kanopy FAQ for more information. Other notable collections of streaming video include Met Opera on Demand, OnTheBoards.tv (performance and performance art) and Symptom Media (short diagnosis and training films for mental health professionals).
Is the Library open the same hours?
This is an unprecedented time, during this rapidly changing situation it is a possibility the Library will be closed. Updated hours can be found on the UL homepage.
Can we count on individual library research assistance to remain available throughout the semester?
Yes. Virtual research assistance, both via our online chat service and by appointment (IRAs), will be maintained even if the library building is closed.
Can I request items through OhioLINK/SearchOhio?
Due to the library closures necessitated by the COVID-19 response, print lending through the Central Catalog is not available at this time. This difficult decision was made in conjunction with the Ohio Department of Higher Education and OhioLINK’s Deans and Directors.