Remote Learning Support
The University Libraries are committed to supporting and enabling student academic success at BGSU. As students and faculty adjust to the online delivery of instruction, we would like to remind you about our online resources and remote services, which can be easily accessed from off campus directly through the University Libraries website.
Library hours and services may be subject to change upon new developments and University decisions. Our website will be updated as we are in a rapidly evolving situation. You can also contact us through online chat, email: firstname.lastname@example.org or text: 419-318-1999.
We urge each member of our community to remember that we have personal responsibility for our own health and the health of our family and friends. BGSU has developed an FAQ website to answer the questions we have been receiving from various members of our learning community. This FAQ list may not answer all of your questions, but we will add to it as we make decisions.
Library Services & Collections
- Reserves: Course reserves will not be available for Fall 2020. To place DVDs/CDs in the stream service contact email@example.com.
- Print Materials: If you need a book chapter or journal article, go to our ILL page to make a request. Please note that our physical collection, and the collections of many of the institutions from which we would normally borrow, are unavailable or have very limited availability. We will fill your request if possible or let you know if we cannot fill your request.
- Ebooks: The library has an extensive collection of ebooks, many of which are available to an unlimited number of users. Find ebooks by limiting Summon searches to "Full Text online" and "Book/Ebook". Our ebooks LibGuide includes information about our different ebook collections.
- Databases & Ejournals: Start at the UL homepage and use our "All databases" and "Journals by Title" lists in order to be prompted for your BGSU login when connecting to these online resources. Use the E-Resources Troubleshooting Guide for assistance with any problems connecting to resources from off-campus.
- Tutoring: The Learning Commons will be providing face to face and virtual support for academic coaching, tutoring, and writing consultations. Visit The Learning Commons page to see a full details on each service provided. If you have questions or concerns, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Information about Supplemental Instruction can be found on the Supplemental Instruction webpage.
Research & Instruction Support
- Ask Us! - Visit our Ask Us! page to get research help via online chat, email: email@example.com, or text: 419-318-1999.
- Individual Research Appointments (IRAs) - Schedule a virtual appointment with a librarian using our online IRA calendar. Once you schedule an IRA appointment, you will receive a confirmation email with the date and time for the IRA, the name of the librarian, their email contact, and the link to their WebEx personal virtual room.
- Services for Faculty - This webpage includes a variety of instructional and research services, many of which can be used in an online environment. Contact your subject librarian to discuss options for incorporating library resources into your Canvas site such as assigning information literacy modules (ProQuest Research Companion) to help your students learn essential research skills like avoiding plagiarism, choosing a research topic, evaluating sources, and many more.
- LibGuides - Check out our collection of research guides designed to help students do research in specific subject areas (like business, music, or sciences). Faculty are encouraged to contact their subject librarian to request a research guide for their classes.
- Library Instruction Team - Faculty are encouraged to reach out to their subject librarians about incorporating library resources into Canvas, arranging online library instruction covering databases and library resources, or providing virtual research support.
Will I be charged for overdue items?
The library will not charge fines accrued between Spring Break 2020 and the start of Fall 2020 semester. Fines for overdue items will resume at the start of Fall semester. Please bring back or renew items borrowed in Spring 2020 to avoid fines. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have an issue with an item on your account.
Will tutoring be available?
For the fall 2020 semester The Learning Commons will serve students both face to face and virtually. Supplemental Instruction will be delivered in the same method that the class is presented. FLY appointments will be offered both face to face and virtually.
The Collab Lab will be providing virtual support for software assistance with the Adobe Suite, the iLife Suite, and the Office Suite. See their website for PDF tutorials. Ask questions or request a WebEx session through Collab Lab chat. For Fall 2020 the Collab Lab will be offering in person support, space will be limited.
How can I access e-resources?
Access full text resources through Summon, EBSCO, our All Databases list, or our Journals by Title page. Off campus users will be prompted to log in to EZProxy with their BGSU username and password when accessing resources restricted to BGSU users. Problems logging in can be reported to email@example.com.
What streaming video options are available through the library?
A full list of our video streaming services. Our largest and most current collection of streaming video is on Kanopy, but there are some restrictions for access: see our Kanopy FAQ for more information. Other notable collections of streaming video include Met Opera on Demand, OnTheBoards.tv (performance and performance art) and Symptom Media (short diagnosis and training films for mental health professionals).
Is the Library open the same hours?
The library will reopen on August 17, updated hours can be found on the UL homepage.
How do I get books if I am uncomfortable coming into the building?
The University Libraries is offering curbside delivery. Request your books through the library catalog or OhioLINK/SearchOhio. When they are ready, come to parking lot N and call the circulation desk 419-372-2051 to have your items brought out. The service is offered Mon-Fri 10 am - 7 pm, Sat and Sun 2 pm - 7 pm.
Can we count on individual library research assistance to remain available throughout the semester?
Yes. Virtual research assistance, both via our online chat service and by appointment (IRAs), will be maintained even if the library building is closed.
Can I request items through OhioLINK/SearchOhio?
OhioLINK requesting will be available starting August 10. If library closures continue this service could be interrupted. Please allow extra time for your request as lending libraries may have extra safety measures that could cause delays.