Diversity and Inclusion
The University Libraries at Bowling Green State University (UL) recognize that the current social climate requires increased commitment to diversity and inclusion. As information professionals, we will use our values and skills to support the ideals outlined in the Association of Research Libraries’ (ARL) statement on diversity, inclusion, equity, and social justice:
"Now more than ever, it is critical that libraries and archives ensure open and equitable access to credible sources of news, data, and knowledge, and provide the expertise, services, collections, tools, and spaces that will help all community members critically assess the information they encounter."
The University Libraries are committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive environment, and we believe that it is critical for every member of the library community to share the responsibility for equity and diversity. Recognizing that creating a safe and welcoming environment requires more than rhetoric alone, we commit to specific actions as well, including:
- creating information resources to support campus diversity and inclusion initiatives and to promote the library as an inclusive space;
- implementing professional development opportunities and other programs that support diversity and inclusion initiatives for all of our staff; and
- planning and offering public programming around diverse collections and issues.
Additionally, we commit to supporting civil discourse and creating an environment where hate speech is not tolerated. Further echoing ARL’s statement,
"We support freedom of speech and the open exchange of ideas and opinions, but we will not tolerate hate speech, silencing, inflammatory rhetoric, or any other speech or action that threatens the safety or dignity of any member of our community."
We want all of our spaces, services, and collections to cultivate a constructive and inclusive learning environment where individuals can grow and learn. We welcome feedback that will help us document successes and failures on this initiative.
Updated December 2016
Deans Advisory Council on Diversity and Inclusion
The Deans Advisory Council on Diversity and Inclusion (DACODI) is
- Advisory and makes recommendations to the Dean.
- Assists with the review and development of strategic initiatives that support BGSU and the University Libraries (UL) diversity and inclusion goals.
- Assists with the implementation of assigned goals from the UL Diversity Plan.
- Develops annual goals, objectives and timelines for council activities; prepares annual progress reports as requested.
- Annually review the charge, goals and objectives with the Dean.
- Build a campus and community that fosters, celebrates, and appreciates diversity and inclusion.
DACODI meets monthly to discuss progress on its goals and for each of the subgroups to report on activities.