BGP General Education Appeals
Most BG Perspective appeals involve general education courses which have been transferred to BGSU from a previous institution. However, on occasion, other kinds of appeals related to a BGP requirement fulfillment may be warranted. The information which follows provides direction for students who wish to initiate a BGP-related appeal.
BGSU POLICY GOVERNING THE TRANSFER OF GENERAL EDUCATION COURSES TAKEN AT A PREVIOUS INSTITUTION
The following policy, which is provided in BGSU's current Undergraduate Catalog, governs the way in which general education credits earned at previous institutions are used to fulfill general education requirements at BGSU:
BG PERSPECTIVE (GENERAL EDUCATION CURRICULUM) CREDIT FOR TRANSFER COURSES
If a course taken at another institution is an approved general education course at that institution, then we should, in most cases, award BG Perspective credit for it when the student transfers here.
• If a course transfers in as equivalent to a BG Perspective course at BGSU, the course fulfills a BG Perspective requirement as an automatic consequence of the transfer.
• If a course does not have a BGSU equivalent, it will transfer in as 1XXX or 3XXX. In that case, if the student can provide documentation that the course is an approved general education course at the originating institution, the college will have the authority to grant BG Perspective credit at BGSU, provided that the general education domain requirement that was fulfilled at the originating institution also exists at BGSU.
• If a course fulfills a requirement at the originating institution that does not exist at BGSU, then the course may not be used to fulfill a BG Perspective domain category requirement. However, in this case, the credit hours earned for the course can count towards BGSU's required 36 hours of general education coursework.
• Transfer equivalency of English composition courses will be determined by the University Writing Program.
• If a course without a BGSU equivalency is not approved as a general education course at the originating institution, the course will not receive BG Perspective credit at BGSU.
Determinations regarding how transfer courses will or will not fulfill BGP requirements at BGSU are made by Registration and Records. However, on occasion, a student may believe that he or she should have been awarded - but did not receive - a BG Perspective general education fulfillment for a previous course. If this situation occurs, the student may initiate an appeal with the Director of the BG Perspective Program.
DIRECTIONS FOR INITIATING A BGP APPEAL OF A TRANSFER COURSE
To initiate a BGP appeal of a course taken at a previous institution the student should send an email message to firstname.lastname@example.org, clearly explaining the situation. The following information should be provided:
- Student name
- BGSU ID number
- Institution where previous course was taken
- Name of course and course number at previous institution
- BGP domain requirement the student is hoping the course will fulfill (Humanities and the Arts, Social and Behavioral Sciences, Natural Sciences, etc.)
- Evidence that the previous course fulfilled a general education requirement for the student at the previous institution. (A link to the previous institution's general education course list, usually found in the online undergraduate catalog but perhaps elsewhere on the institution's website, typically will suffice.)
DIRECTIONS FOR INITIATING OTHER BGP-RELATED APPEALS
If a student has experienced another kind of situation in which he or she believes that a BGP-related appeal may be in order, please email email@example.com, clearly explaining the situation.
Updated: 08/03/2023 04:11PM