Public Impact Awards recipients 2019-20
Organization Excellence Award
This award recognizes an organization or agency for its significant contributions as a community partner supporting community engagement of Bowling Green State University students, faculty and staff.
- Bowling Green Branch of the American Association of University Women for its long-term programmatic collaborations with BGSU such as partnering on Tech Trek Camp, Smart Start and Work Smart workshops and the Great Decisions Lectures.
Faculty Excellence Award for Community-Based Teaching
This award recognizes faculty excellence in designing and implementing community-based learning courses or community-based research or creative activities.
- Dr. Michelle Brodke, assistant professor of Business Management, and Dr. Joseph Furgal, assistant professor of Chemistry. Brodke and Furgal are recognized as co-recipients for their course collaborations the past two years to engage students with various industrial clients in the Sandusky area to help solve production issues and improve efficiency. Additionally, they recently received a National Science Foundation STEM Equity Achievement grant to expand this work.
Outstanding Partnership Award
This award recognizes an outstanding partnership project or program made possible by a partnership between BGSU department(s)/individual(s) and community partner(s).
- America Reads and the Community Learning Center STARS Program Partnership, which engages BGSU students as tutors who provide Wood County elementary school students with reading and homework assistance. This assistance promotes increased homework completion, literacy support, and the opportunity to receive individualized attention and support after-school.
- World Languages Program and St. Aloysius Catholic School Partnership, which engages BGSU students as second language instructors and the teaching and learning of world languages for the past nine years.
Staff Excellence Award
This award recognizes a staff member or group of staff members at BGSU who have supported community and civic engagement programs, projects, or initiatives over the past year.
- Danielle Haynes, coordinator of Student Case Management, for her work engaging BGSU fraternity and sorority members in a toy drive during the 2019 holiday season and supporting student success at BGSU by connecting students to appropriate campus and community resources through individual case management.