Thank you for your interest in graduate studies in Biology at Bowling Green State University!
Most of the information that you will need about our graduate programs and the application process can be found on our website. Below are some guidelines and helpful links. If you have specific questions, please feel free to contact the Graduate Coordinator.
The Department of Biological Sciences does not and will not tell students their potential chances of being admitted or receiving assistantship funding until all credentials have been received. Admission decisions are based on multiple factors including: undergraduate major/minor, GRE and TOEFL scores, GPA in undergraduate major and overall GPA, letters of recommendation, statement of research interest, availability of faculty advisor, etc. Admission decisions are not made until all credentials have been received.
Prerequisites for the graduate program include completion of a baccalaureate degree, normally in one of the biological sciences, and completion of course work in organic chemistry and calculus.
Applicants who are deficient (i.e., lacking organic chemistry and/or calculus) must complete these prerequisites by the end of their first year in the program.
Domestic applicants to the Ph.D. program who have a grade point average of at least 3.3, scored above the 60th percentile on the GRE, and present evidence of research ability may be eligible to apply to Ph.D. program following completion of the baccalaureate degree--Important: you must contact the Graduate Coordinator BEFORE applying. A separate application to the Ph.D. program must be made by all students completing a master's degree, even if the degree is from Bowling Green State University.
All applicants are strongly encouraged to visit the faculty websites, identify one or more faculty members in their area of interest, and contact them in order to make sure they are accepting students BEFORE applying to the program.
Admission and funding decisions are made competitively.
Fall Applications: Applications received by February 1 will be given priority in admission and funding. Decisions about assistantships are usually finalized by June 1. Applications must be complete by June 30 for admission for Fall semester.
Spring Applications: Applications for Spring semester are discouraged because students cannot take courses in the preferred sequence and funding is not available (except in unusual circumstances). Applications must be complete by November 30 for admission for Spring semester.
Summer Applications: The Biology Department does not accept new students in the Summer semester.
Please be sure to:
- Contact potential
advisors before applying
- Request that official copies of all undergraduate and graduate transcripts be sent to: BGSU Office of Graduate Admissions.
- Request that official copies of GRE scores be sent to: BGSU Office of Graduate Admissions.
- Complete an Application for Assistantship or Fellowship, regardless of whether funding is requested. Please send to BGSU Department of Biological Sciences.
- Include a written description of your motivations for attending graduate school, your specific area of interest within the Biological Sciences, and your aspirations following receipt of the graduate degree. Please send to BGSU Department of Biological Sciences.
of recommendation from three persons acquainted with your
academic experiences be sent to BGSU Department of Biological
- Fulfill the requirements for the Office of Graduate Admissions as specified on the application form and on the Graduate College website.
INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS: In addition to the above requirements, please:
- Send a copy of your most recent TOEFL score to the Office of Admissions, BGSU. Only test scores received within the last two years are valid.
- Fulfill the requirements for the Office of Admissions, as specified on the International Students website.
Applying to The Graduate College is easy and convenient with our online application. Your application will be instantly uploaded into our system. Once you click on "Submit," your application will arrive at the college -- no envelopes or stamps necessary! To directly access the online application, go HERE. You will also need to send all of the supporting documents to the Graduate College including: GRE scores, Official Transcripts, TOEFL scores (for International Students).
At the Graduate College homepage, you will find information on such topics as admissions, sponsored programs and research, and academic resources. Plus, you can access the Graduate Catalog for information on all of the master's and doctoral programs offered at BGSU. The Graduate College homepage can be accessed HERE.