Veterinary Science and Animal Career Camp
New VIRTUAL CAMP Offering June 24 - 28, 2024 Register Now
In-Person Camp Offering July 8 - 12, 2024
Application Closed - applicants now under review
Do you have a passion for taking care of animals? Have you thought about becoming a veterinarian, technician, or zoo keeper? Are you wondering about what classes to take in high school or are you considering taking higher level classes like a college course? The BGSU Veterinary Science Camp is here to help students discover what it takes to work in fields related to animal science, medicine, and more.
- Explore how BGSU can prepare you for pursuing your passions
- Hear what it is like to be a BGSU Student from the BGSU Pre-Vet Student Organization
- Learn about special interest fields within veterinary medicine from working professionals
- Discover what it takes to get in to Veterinary School from Admissions Counselors
- Learn what college courses you should take
- Connect with Veterinarians at the Ohio Department of Agriculture & United States Department of Agriculture to learn how they work to keep the food supply safe
- Go behind the scenes with local veterinarians to discover what a day in the life of a veterinarian is like.
Labs & Activities
- Animal Handling & Physical Exams (Both Programs: Virtual & In-Person)
- Hear from career professionals about what their “a day in life” is like for them (Both - Speakers do not overlap and will be different)
- Do an animal science project (Both)
- Go behind the scenes at the Toledo Zoo (In-Person)
- Connect with leaders at Potter Park Zoo (Virtual)
- Explore differences in Emergency Medicine between Large & Small Animal & Build a First Aid Kit (Virtual)
- Case Study & Mock Patient Diagnosis (Virtual)
- Perform simulation diagnostic labs (i.e. Blood Draws, Suturing, Injections) (In-Person Program)
- Dissections and much more! (Both Programs)
Who can attend?
In-Person Session: For students who will be entering 9th - 12th grade and who are excited to learn more about careers in veterinary and animal science.
Virtual Session: Students who will be entering 9th - 12th grade and 2024 HS Graduates. Student's attending the in-person session may also attend the virtual program as speakers and sessions are different.
What does the cost cover?
In-Person Session: The cost of $475 dollars (camperships possible) covers the webinars, lectures, guest speakers and support for the full week, transportation and admission to our tours, lab materials and activities.
Virtual Session: The cost of $215 dollars (camperships possible) covers the webinars, lectures, guest speakers and support for the full week, camp t-shirt, and a crate filled with a textbook and a veterinary workbook as wel as all materials needed to complete at home labs and activities. Daily Lunch and Snacks are also included.
On Campus Housing Information (In-Person program only)
BGSU Summer Camps has partnered with BGSU Conference and Event Services to offer overnight accommodations on campus for campers and their family. More information will be coming soon and reservations are expected to open spring 2024.
How can I apply?
Complete the online form so that we can learn more about you and your interest in discovering more about the health sciences and ample careers.
In-Person Camp Application Dates & Deadlines
- Early Consideration Deadline: March 1st - All In-person camps spots will be filled following the early consideration deadline.
Virtual Session Registration
- Registration March 2nd - May 1st
- All programs, or camps within a program, may be subject to minimum enrollment and may be canceled if enrollment minimum is not met. In the event of a cancelled program all fees and registration costs will be refunded.
- Campers may withdraw their application anytime.
- Deposits are non-refundable
ACCEPTANCE & DEPOSIT
To reserve your seat in camp a $25 non-refundable deposit is due within 10 days of receiving your camp acceptance. Participants who do not pay the deposit by the tenth day are removed and placed on the waitlist. A deposit made after the 10th day does not guarantee a seat and must be approved.
- In-Person Details:
- Camp Week: July 8, 2024 Payment Due: June 1, 2024
- Virtual Camp Details:
- Camp Week: June 24, 2024 Payment Due: June 1, 2024
*Please contact the office to request a payment plan if needed.
Forms will be collected via CampDocs. Information with a link to the site will be sent with your acceptance.
- BGSU Waiver
- BGSU Health Forms
- BGSU Media Release
- Camp Rules & Policies
If a registration is canceled, the individual or organization making the original CAMP payment will receive:
- Full refund minus deposit if cancelation occurs on or before June 1, 2024
- 75% refund minus deposit if cancelation occurs 21 days or more to the start of camp.
- 50% refund minus depost if cancelation occurs between 14 days and 21 days to the start of camp.
- No refund for a "No Show" or for a cancellation request received less than 2 weeks prior to the start date of the program. Students dismissed for disciplinary reasons are not eligible for any refund.
Updated: 03/02/2024 09:21AM