Aid Disbursement to Bursar Account

With the exception of Federal Work Study, some departmental scholarships and all outside scholarships, financial aid processed by Student Financial Aid (SFA) will automatically be disbursed to your bursar account, provided that your application is complete and you have met the requirements for each aid type.

Prior to the beginning of the fall and spring semesters, any confirmed financial aid will be listed as anticipated aid (estimated payment) against your University charges. You will then be asked either to pay the balance of the charges or make payment arrangements. Information about BGSU's installment payment plan and other payment arrangements will be included with your bursar statement.

If you are offered student loans, SFA will notify you if a student loan promissory note is required. The first semester you borrow a Federal Direct Loan at BGSU, you must also complete an entrance counseling session. Both master promissory note and entrance counseling can be completed online at Your Federal Student Aid Identification username and password (FSA ID) is required.

Private scholarship checks received by the University will be directly applied to your student bursar account (unless otherwise specified by the scholarship donor). Once SFA is notified of a private scholarship, it will be listed as part of your aid package.

When the semester begins, your anticipated aid will be changed to disbursed aid on your bursar account, provided you are registered for the appropriate number of credit hours and have met individual program requirements. Federal financial aid will first be used to pay your University housing and meals, instructional, general, and non-resident fees, and special course fees. Some forms of aid, especially federal student aid, are restricted as to what portion of your bill they can pay. Allowable charges for federal aid include, for example, the instructional and general fees. Other miscellaneous charges, such as the legal fee or parking fee may not be covered. You could be issued a refund check for excess student aid after allowable charges are covered, but yet still owe a bill to the University for other miscellaneous charges. We encourage you to review your bill regularly, and contact the Office of the Bursar with any questions.

Updated: 09/27/2023 04:55PM