Wednesday, Sept. 27, 2023
Bowen-Thompson Student Union, Lenhart Grand Ballroom
Shari and Cory Foltz founded the iamstonefoltz Foundation in honor of their son, Stone Foltz, who tragically passed away from alcohol poisoning on March 7, 2021, three days after attending a fraternity hazing ritual. The Foltzes will share Stone's story to raise awareness about the hazards of hazing and the deadly effects of alcohol poisoning.
- Introduce yourself and the purpose of the presentation.
By tuning in to tonight’s presentation we hope to have meaningful conversations about hazing, alcohol and how to keep yourself and others safe.
This presentation does contain material that might be difficult to discuss. Specifically, hazing behaviors and alcohol poisoning that resulted in the death of student. We encourage you to prioritize your well-being and move from the space as needed.
- Begin the livestream.
- Facilitate a discussion.
The prompts below are meant to help you guide a conversation with your participants. However, you know your community best. Ask questions and engage in dialogue that will be most effective for your community.
- Wrap Up
Thank participants for attending. Direct participants to campus resources including iamstonefoltz.org.
Questions around hazing
- What is your initial reaction to the presentation?
- Based on the information provided, how would you define hazing?
- Why do you think individuals choose to haze?
- What are the consequences of hazing?
Questions around alcohol
- What are the signs of alcohol poisoning?
- How would you intervene if someone was showing signs of alcohol poisoning?
- What are strategies you could implement to keep you and your friends safe when around alcohol or other substances?
- What would you want your friends or group members to do if you were showing signs of alcohol poisoning?
Questions around bystander intervention
- What are the barriers to intervening and getting someone help?
- How can you overcome those barriers?
- What are reporting resources available to you?
- What could you do if you are concerned about behaviors, traditions, or practices with in yourgroup?
Updated: 09/21/2023 01:10PM