Affiliate Faculty Application
UWP AFFILIATE FACULTY APPLICATION PROCESS
Affiliate faculty status allows faculty members at BGSU outside UWP to teach WRIT courses, only after all UWP faculty have been assigned WRIT courses. If a scheduling change requires a UWP faculty member teaching courses outside UWP to be assigned a WRIT course, WRIT courses will be reassigned from affiliate faculty members.
Writing is more than a basic skill. Learning to write often entails complex acts of identity negotiation and adaptation of prior writing knowledge. Thus, not just anyone can teach writing. Candidates seeking UWP affiliate faculty status should have experience teaching first-year writing and be familiar with the empirical and disciplinary knowledge shaping the endeavor of first-year writing. All students, especially new college students who are among BGSU's most vulnerable populations, should have equal opportunity to study with qualified, full-time teaching professors.
- MA in rhetoric, composition, and/or writing studies or related field by August 2022
- Evidence of success teaching first-year writing
- Formal professional development in the teaching of first-year composition
- Demonstrated commitment to inclusive, equitable, and accessible teaching
- Background in writing transfer theory and practice
- Experience with transfer-sensitive pedagogies, like Writing about Writing (WAW) or Teaching for Transfer (TFT)
- Knowledge of writing in the disciplines and beyond the university
- Experience teaching primary and secondary research
To apply, send 1) letter of application, 2) curriculum vita, 3) statement of diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility, 4) sample first-year writing syllabus, and 5) one recent letter of recommendation from someone who has observed your teaching to Dr. Neil Baird, Director, University Writing Program, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed by the UWP admin team upon receipt. In some cases, candidates may be asked for additional materials or to attend a UWP admin meeting for an interview.