We’re excited to have you join us for University Orientation. Participation is required, as it is a vital part of the start to your successful college journey. Throughout the program you’ll learn more about the BGSU community, academic and co-curricular expectations and opportunities to shape your experience.
Virtual orientation will begin online at 9:15 a.m. EDT through Zoom sessions that you will access through Canvas. There will be a variety of sessions, opportunities to connect with staff and Orientation Leaders, and time to get your questions answered. There will be plenty of breaks throughout the day. You should expect your day to conclude around 2 p.m. EDT.
Setup & Login
Your Virtual New Student Orientation will begin at 9:15 a.m. EDT. Please log in 15 minutes early to ensure you have a good connection before the day begins.
Before the day of orientation:
- Make sure your computer is up to date. You don't want unexpected updates to slow you down.
- Test and make sure you can log in to the following BGSU accounts. If you have an issue, please contact ITS for support.
- Download Zoom and create an account. It is also important to make sure your device has the most up-to-date version of Zoom downloaded if you already have an account set up.
- Family & Guests: If your student will be using your Zoom account, please make sure your account name is updated with your student's name before orientation begins.
- Review the schedule so you are prepared for orientation.
Helpful tip: We recommend using a desktop computer or laptop to attend virtual orientation to ensure the best experience. If you are using a laptop with unreliable WiFi, we recommend plugging your laptop directly into your internet using an ethernet cable to ensure the fastest and most reliable connection.
Day of orientation:
- 9-9:15 a.m. | Log in and make sure your computer is set up and ready for orientation to begin.
- 9:15-9:30 a.m. | Welcome Session
- 9:30-9:45 a.m. | Small Group Sessions
- 9:45-10:15 a.m. | Academics 101 & Life Design Session
- 10:15-10:30 a.m. | Break
- 10:30-11 a.m. | Know what you Owe Session
- 11-11:45 a.m. | Community of Care Session
- 11:45-Noon | Break
- Noon-1 p.m. | College Group Sessions
- 1-1:15 p.m. | Final Large-Group Remarks & Afternoon Programming Overview
- 1:15-1:30 p.m. | Break
- Afternoon Programming:
Students who are part of a BGSU athletic team are required to attend this meeting with staff members from Student Athlete Services. Family members and guests are encouraged to attend.
Drop-in for a 15-20 minute advising appointment with an academic advisor and planner to ask questions about your class schedule and major or degree program requirements.
Individual Q&A for Financial Aid and Billing
Students and family members can meet individually with staff from Student Financial Aid and the Office of the Bursar to discuss financial aid, scholarships, fees, tuition and payment options.
If you are a recipient of the Thompson Working Families Scholarship, join us virtually to meet our staff and other new scholars, get your questions answered and take the first step toward making your mark on our program! This is an open house, so log in between 1:30-2 p.m. when you have some time. We can’t wait to meet you!
Learn how TRIO assists first-generation students, economically disadvantaged students and students with accessibility needs through academic and career advising, scholarships, summer programs, financial aid, tutoring, workshops, cultural exposure and field trips – all completely free!
Updated: 06/22/2022 10:28AM