Finding an Advisor
Who's My Advisor?
The CHHS Advising Center oversees the advising activities of the college. We strive to keep students informed about the numerous academic policies, procedures, rules, and regulations related to completing a degree at BGSU. We share information weekly through the Student Insider email. We also monitor academic progress and certify degree completion. Our staff are knowledgeable about ALL kinds of procedural issues and we can help students with nearly any kind of general question. CHHS Advising Center staff meet:
Primarily with first and second
- All "pre-major" status students (pre-criminal justice, pre-gerontology, pre-social work, etc.)
- All applied health science students, pre-nursing and nursing students
- Any student who might want to change a major to one of those housed in the college or transfer out of our college to a different major at BGSU
- Any student in the college who needs help figuring out BGSU policies, graduation requirements, procedures, etc.
- Any student in the college who is experiencing a problem that will impact their academic pursuits (closed courses, extended illness, etc.)
- Any student who needs assistance with academic appeals procedures
Students are assigned a faculty advisor by their major department. Students should seek their faculty advisor for the expertise within the faculty member's area of study. These areas include:
- Internship preparation
- Career preparation
- Course sequencing within the major area
- Concerns related to the major area of study
- Approval of any deviation from the published curriculum (course substitutions, etc.)
SCHEDULING AN APPOINTMENT
Students enrolled in our college should schedule appointments by using the SSC scheduling software. More details are available on our Advising Appointments page.
Students should learn their individual faculty advisor's preference for appointments. This can include anything from dropping in during office hours or calling the department to schedule a meeting time. Students can see their assigned advisor's name by checking the 'Advisor' box of their Student Center, within MyBGSU.
- Applied Health Science 419-372-6040 - Students can call this number to arrange a meeting with their faculty advisor. First and second-year students in this program are advised by their academic advisor.
- Communication Sciences and Disorders 419-372-2516 - Each student receives a letter from the department that includes the name of the student's assigned faculty advisor and instructions on how to contact the advisor. First and second-year students can meet with their academic advisor.
- Criminal Justice 419-372-2326 - Student can call this number to arrange a meeting with their faculty advisor. First and second-year students can meet with their academic advisor.
Gerontology 419-372-2326 - Students can call this
number to arrange a meeting with their faculty advisor. First and
second-year students can meet with their academic advisor.
Medical Laboratory Science 419-372-6040 - Students
can call this number to arrange a meeting with their faculty
advisor. First and second-year students may meet with their
- Nursing 419-372-8242 - Marcy Beaverson is the Nursing Advisor. Students can make appointments with Marcy by calling the Advising office or via SSC on MyBGSU.
Social Work 419-372-2326 - Students can call the
department to arrange a meeting with their faculty advisor once
admitted to the program. Pre-Social Work students may meet with
their academic advisor.
Tips for a Productive Meeting
- Keep all of your academic records in a folder or file and bring the folder with you - this includes your degree checksheet, DAR report, grades, current class schedule, etc.
- Bring a pen or pencil and paper
- Write down your questions in advance so you don't forget to ask something
- It is common for advisors to refer students to other campus offices, be sure to ask if there are other resources you might utilize