Delayed Publication and Copyright Information

Restricting Access/Delayed Publication

A thesis or dissertation submitted electronically with no requests for restriction by the student will have immediate publication once the manuscript has been approved by the Graduate College.

On occasion, a student may request a delay in the publication of the thesis or dissertation if immediate release may influence publishing a book or seeking a patent. If this is the case, the Request for Delayed Publication Form must be submitted along with the proper approval forms. Generally, the Graduate College discourages the use of delayed publication without reasonable cause.

Questions should be directed to the Graduate College.


Your paper is automatically protected by copyright as soon as it is created in a tangible form, including being saved as an electronic file.  However, you may choose the additional protection of registering your copyright.  Both thesis and dissertation students can file a copyright registration on-line with the U.S. Copyright Office.   The U.S. Copyright Office charges a fee of $35.00 for you to register your document.  

If Doctoral Students wish to have ProQuest (formerly UMI) process the copyright for your document, please complete the ProQuest Copyright Registration Form--Optional and attach a copy of your title page and a certified check or money order (no personal checks, please) made out to ProQuest for $55 (BGSU does not bill you for this charge). Send the form, title page, and certified check/money order directly to:

789 E. Eisenhower Pkwy
P.O. Box 1346
Ann Arbor, MI 48106-1346

Contrary to the statement on the UMI Release page on the OhioLINK submission, the Graduate College does not process the charges for copyrighting. It is your responsibility to forward payment for the copyrighting directly to UMI. In addition, you must indicate on the UMI Release section when submitting your electronic manuscript that you wish to have ProQuest register your copyright. If you do not select this option, ProQuest will not process your copyright request. NOTE: master's theses are not sent to ProQuest for microfilming.

You may also order reprints of your dissertation from ProQuest. Please note, however, it may take an extremely long time to receive these copies due to the large numbers of manuscripts being processed by ProQuest. You may also want to refer to the Binding Services web page located on the Library's web site for other options for binding your document.