Scholarships & Financial Aid
90% of all new BGSU students receive some type of financial assistance. This aid can be used to pay for your instructional and general fees, non-resident fees (if applicable), room, meals, books, transportation, and personal expenses.
To be considered for need-based aid, you must be an admitted student AND file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). When completing the FAFSA, be sure to list BGSU’s school code: 003018.
Utilize the information below to learn more about BGSU financial aid options and deadlines & feel free to contact the Office of Student Financial Aid with additional questions.
THERE ARE FOUR TYPES OF FINANCIAL AID
- BGSU awards an average of 5,800 scholarships totaling approximately $25 million each year
- Scholarships are considered gift aid and generally do not require repayment
- Awards are based on attributes such as academic achievement, service, and talent
- Deadline to apply for scholarship consideration is January 15, 2018
- Grants are need-based and do not require repayment
- Federal and state grants are limited to lower-income students
- Student loans must be repaid
- Federal Direct Student Loan for Undergraduate Students is available to help parents meet educational costs
- BGSU employs approximately 4000 students on campus throughout the year
- Student employees work an average of 10-15 hours per week
- Students earn at least $8.15 per hour
Financial Aid Deadlines - Fall 2018 Applicants
October 1, 2017
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is available online. Complete and file as soon as possible after October 1, 2017, using tax information from 2016.
December 4, 2017
- Alumni Laureate Scholarship (ALS) deadline. An application for admission and all credentials (including official transcripts and ACT or SAT results) and the ALS application must be on file by December 4.
- Sidney A. Ribeau President's Leadership Academy (PLA) scholarship deadline. Applicants must be accepted into BGSU and submit the online PLA application by December 4.
- Presidential Scholars Award competition deadline. Submit a complete BGSU application for admission (including official transcripts and ACT or SAT results) and the Honors College application by December 4.
January 15, 2018
- To be considered for the University Freshman Academic Scholarship & BG Success Scholarship, you must apply for admission by January 15, 2018.
- Note: the Presidential Scholars Award, Alumni Laureate Scholarship, and Sidney A. Ribeau President's Leadership Academy scholarship deadlines are December 4, 2017.
- Academic Investment in Mathematics & Science (AIMS) Program scholarship deadline. Applicants must be accepted into BGSU and submit the online AIMS application by January 15.
- Science & Math Education in ACTION scholarship deadline. Students must apply to BGSU as well as the ACTION program by January 15.
- To be considered for maximum financial aid for the upcoming school year, submit the FAFSA by January 15.
February 15, 2018
- Application deadline for BGSU Firelands Searchable Scholarship Guide scholarships.
March 1, 2018
- To be considered for the University Freshman Academic Scholarship & BG Success Scholarship, you must have all credentials submitted (including official transcripts and ACT or SAT results) by this date. Updated credentials submitted after this date will not impact the University Freshman Academic Scholarship amount offered.