Clinical Child Psychology


A student interested in concentrating in clinical child psychology should take the courses required to obtain a PhD in the clinical area. At least one additional course in developmental psychology is highly recommended. With respect fulfilling requirements for a clinical child concentration, students need to take at least two advanced clinical courses from the following three areas: a) an advanced clinical topics elective that focuses on child, couples and/or family relationships or child psychopathology or in a disorder with a primary age of onset during childhood or adolescence; b) an advanced clinical interventions elective that focuses on child, couple and/or family interventions (e.g., Advanced Child and Family Therapy), and c) an advanced child, couples, or family assessment course (e.g., Advanced Child and Family Assessment).


At least one year of clinical practicum external placement  should be with an agency focusing on children and families in the student's third or fourth year. At least one semester of the student's advanced clinical research & practice (7090) experience should focus on children or on systems that focus on children (e.g., families, schools). It is also strongly recommended that if a student wishes to continue a focus on clinical child psychology that he/she select an internship (see below) in which at least 50% of his or her experience will be with children and families.


Students can opt to work with any Psychology Department faculty member in any area of research they choose for their thesis and dissertation as long as the projects involve a child psychology topic (e.g., child delinquency or violence, eating disorders), a couples psychology topic (romantic, cohabiting or marital unions), or a family psychology topic (e.g., parenting, co-parenting, divorce). In the event that a student's research is mentored by a faculty member outside of the child/family area, the student should seek guidance from one of the faculty in the child clinical area (Dubow, Mahoney, Tompsett) for academic advising regarding fulfilling requirements for a child clinical concentration. 

Updated: 09/11/2021 08:40PM