Stuart R. Givens Memorial Fellowship
Inspired by the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill's Burch Fellows Program, the Stuart R. Givens Memorial Fellowship was initiated by friends of Dr. Givens to honor his passion for student learning. The Fellowship recognizes resourcefulness, imagination, and significant ability among Bowling Green State University undergraduate students by supporting self-designed off-campus experiences that will enable them to pursue a passionate interest in a manner not otherwise possible through an academic program, regular summer job, enrichment program, or organized study abroad program.
To remain true to the spirit of the Givens Fellowship, students will be encouraged to think broadly in shaping their projects; that is, to look beyond activities that relate to their field of academic study. It is expected that the experience will make a demonstrable difference in their lives and help them grow both personally and intellectually. Up to two Givens Fellows will be chosen annually. Each will receive a cash grant of up to $7,500 to support the projects they have developed.
Please note: Fellowship funds are considered taxable income under federal regulations and a 1099 tax form will be issued at the end of the year. For further information, applicants may contact Ted Rippey in the College of Arts and Sciences via the “Contact Us” link at left.
Application, Eligibility, and Workshop
Timeline for 2020 Stuart R. Givens Memorial Fellowship Application
- Online Application will go live late Fall 2020/Early 2021.
- Workshops for Students: Please contact Chris Bloomfield via email (email@example.com) between February 17-28 if you are interested in a one-on-one session to review your application before submitting. Please make sure you bring a hardcopy of your proposal.
- Application Deadline – Friday, March 13, 2020
- Interviews – mid to late March
- Announcement of 2020 Stuart R. Givens Memorial Fellowship recipient(s) – early to mid April.
- Dinner honoring 2019 recipients and recognizing the 2020 recipient(s) – Fall 2020.