Applying for Admission/Assistantship
To start in Summer 2017 or Fall 2017
The deadline for full consideration for admission and funding is January 31, 2017.
BGSU is using a new, all-electronic application system. Apply online at this link. There, you will:
- upload electronic scans of transcripts from all colleges or
universities attended (Note: after admission, you will need to send
BGSU official paper transcripts from each institution where you
earned a degree.)
- upload a statement of purpose
- list three faculty or professionals who can upload a letter of
recommendation in support of your application; the application
system will contact them by email.
- list your GRE
General Test results (Note: also have your GRE General Test scores
sent to BGSU using Institution Code: 1069, Department Code
- international students, list your TOEFL
or IELTS scores (Note: Have TOEFL or IELTS scores sent to BGSU; for
TOEFL use Department Code: 72.) (Note: students from certain
coutries or with a master's degree from the US are exempt, see this link.)
- pay a
non-refundable application fee ($45 domestic, $75
- indicate your interest in being
considered for a teaching assistantship (Note: Assistantship
decisions are made in March/April, and offers go out shortly after
- indicate the program you wish to pursue:
- Master of Arts in Mathematics, choose Mathematics - MA
- MA specialization in Statistics, choose Mathematics: Statistics - MA
- MA specialization in Applied
Mathematics / Scientific Computation, choose Mathematics - MA
and indicate in your statement of purpose that you are
interested in this specialization
- Master of Science in Applied Statistics, choose Applied Statistics (Math) - MS
- Master of Arts in Teaching, choose Mathematics - MAT
- PhD in Mathematics, choose Mathematics - PhD
- PhD in Statistics, choose Statistics - PhD
- For those wishing to pursue the Mathematics Masters in Arts of Teaching Degree (MAT), a photocopy of a current teaching license or certificate from the State of Ohio or other state will need to be included with your application.
If you are an international student and are admitted to BGSU, please follow the instructions on the International Student Services webpage in order to obtain your non-immigrant documents. Please do this promptly after admission to avoid any delays.
See this site for more information on the application process at BGSU.
To start in Spring 2018
Use the same application process as above. International students
should apply by November 1, 2017, domestic students by December 1,
2017. Note that assistantship funding is not always available for
spring starts. Also note that it is very difficult for PhD students
to start in the Spring semester because the key courses are offered as
fall-spring sequences, and one typically cannot start with the second
course in the sequence.