Testing Information

Do I have to take the ESOL Placement Test?

We are currently using a test which assesses speaking and listening, and writing at the same time. If you take this test, your placement in both speaking and listening, and writing classes will be determined together.

If you have a TOEFL or iELTS score which is less than two years old, you may use that score instead of taking our test. If you want to know where your TOEFL or iELTS score will place you, please consult our Placement Guide. You are not currently required to use an existing TOEFL or iELTS score. If you think your English has improved, you may take our test.

If you have a TOEFL or iELTS score and choose to take our test, we will use the higher placement of the two placements. That is, taking our test cannot hurt you.

If you are from one of the following countries, you will not be placed in a speaking class, but you may still have to take a writing class (This means that, unless you want to use an existing TOEFL or iELTS writing score, you must still take the test to determine your writing placement.): Fiji, Ghana, Guyana, India, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Swaziland, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe.

Citizens of the following countries are exempt from our listening and speaking, and writing classes: Australia, Canada (except Quebec), the Commonwealth Caribbean, Iceland, Ireland, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom.

If you graduated from a U.S. high school and have an ACT English score of 19, an SAT verbal score of 460, or AP English credits, you do not have to take our English placement test.

If you are graduated with a previous degree from BGSU and DO NOT have a teaching assistantship or associateship, you do not have to take our English placement test.

Unfortunately, being a graduate of another American university does not make you exempt from placement. If you received a previous degree from an American university other than BGSU, you must still submit recent TOEFL or iELTS scores, or take our English Placement Test.

If you are a graduate student who has an assistantship that involves working with students in an instructional capacity (teaching, tutoring or leading a lab) - regardless of where you received your previous degree - you must have a TOEFL score of 24 or above on the speaking section of the test, or take our Spoken English Test (SET) to clear you to work with students. This is a separate test, and you may not work with students in an instructional capacity unless you either score well enough on this test or have a TOEFL speaking score of 24 or above. Please see the International Teaching Assistant/Associate Information page for more information.