Work On Campus
Become an ITS Student Employee
No Current Job Openings
ITS is not hiring student staff at this time. We typically hold open hiring periods in the late fall, late spring and sometimes in the summer. Please continue to check back regularly for job postings. Thank you!
General ITS Student Employment Information
All student positions within Information Technology Services are customer service positions. In order to ensure we provide the best possible support for our customers, each of our positions have the same following requirements.
- Must be enrolled as a full-time student at BGSU – Main Campus.
- Must be available to work a minimum of 12 hours per week.
- Must be able to lift a minimum of 50 lbs.
- Detail oriented.
- Customer focused mentality.
- Familiarity with Windows, Mac, and at least one mobile device OS.
Asset Management Specialists aid in the day to day operations of ITS, specifically working directly with the main computer inventory at BGSU main campus. These specialists help insure the accuracy of the computer inventory, quality of the computers, and maintain controls throughout the entire asset lifecycle. This position also works on projects that advance the efficiency and utilization of computer hardware on campus.
- Complete daily, weekly, and monthly inventory tasks.
- Prepare new equipment that arrives from the vendor, as well as gently used equipment for re-use.
- Maintain inventory control as assets move from one location to another within our stock rooms.
- Complete yearly targeted or full-campus physical inventory.
- Complete data destruction of computer equipment prior to recycling.
- Continuously image and configure computers before placing into stock.
- Complete tickets, including device moves and device pickups as scheduled.
- Monitor and complete inventory tickets and tasks within the ITS ticketing system.
Classroom Technology Services
Audio Visual Assistants are the front line in assisting clients in the classroom. They help clients set up AV equipment, troubleshoot technology installed in the classroom, and provide basic training for classroom technology.Equipment set up/break in classroom.
Desktop Support Specialists aid in the day to day operation of ITS. They are responsible for preparing the new and gently used computer systems that are installed in faculty and staff offices throughout BGSU’s campus. Additionally, they will be trained to perform other IT-related service requests for faculty and staff.
- Install software on new and gently used computers as requested by the client.
- Install any departmental printers on the computer.
- Ensure computers are properly connected to the domain and updated.
- Add local user accounts if requested.
- Update all tickets in a highly detailed and timely manner.
- Other duties as assigned.
Perform hardware troubleshooting, diagnostics and repair of university and personally owned computer systems. Manage workflow of incoming machines to ensure quick turnaround of incidents regarding hardware issues.
- Answer a variety of hardware questions from clients and support staff in person, over the phone or through email.
- Complete assigned work in a timely manner.
- Ensure high level of customer satisfaction through all interactions.
- Manage time effectively with limited supervisor interaction.
- Other duties as required.
Student Support Services
Student Support Specialists may work in a few different roles throughout their employment based on availability and staffing needs. Student Support Specialists staff our open ITS computer labs in the Bowen-Thompson Student Union, Jerome Library, and Technology Building. They are meant to be an easily-accessible technology support resource in the labs, as well as ensure proper ongoing operation of the equipment in the labs, and report issues as necessary.
Student Support Specialists also work shifts out of our Hayes Hall main office, which includes performing lab checks in our supported unstaffed labs and working to educate BGSU students on how to use technology to improve their student experience at BGSU.This could include giving presentations to students on topics like how to use OneDrive, group tutoring sessions, or making appointments for assistance with students’ personal device connections in their residence hall rooms.
If working over the summer, a Student Support employee would be expected to staff open labs, as well as assist with lab hardware refresh and other summer ITS projects.
- Provide user assistance, and monitor and maintain proper operation and upkeep of equipment in ITS computer labs.
- Assist Residence Hall residents with network connectivity of personally-owned devices.
- General IT operations support for BGSU faculty and staff, such as moving and setting up computer equipment, delivery and installation of computer peripherals, and basic computer troubleshooting/replacing equipment as necessary.
- Monitor and manage incidents in ITS ticketing system.
- Other duties as assigned.
Manage and implement the creation of video and media guides/training for distribution to the BGSU community. Draft scripts and story boards, work with subject matter experts and learning designers, film and edit video, etc.
- Develop original content for distribution across all ITS social media accounts, including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Pinterest, SnapChat, etc.
- Ensure that social networks remain a source of information on campus regarding ITS outages, projects, news and events.
- Explore analytics and develop reporting plan.
- Monitor and evaluate new social media tools, trends and applications.
- Engage student population using images, video, and other media.
- Ensure sites remain accessibility compliant and align with the University's brand image.
- Identify areas for improvement and strategy for increasing likes/follows.
- Convey messages in a meaningful, understanding manner.
- Attend ITS events as needed.
- Maintain 5 or more hours per week working in the Technology Support Center.
- Other duties as assigned.
Have a customer focused mentality with strong communication stills while providing professional technology support for students, faculty, and staff.
- Provide technical support in person, via phone, and via online chat
- General software/hardware troubleshooting
- Administration of account security and network access
- Assist with Service Desk initiatives/projects
- Provide excellent customer service in all interactions