Two Factor Authentication
Instructions for Setting Up Duo App
Two Factor Authentication at BGSU
The BGSU Two Factor Authentication feature offers users a more secure method for accessing important university data. In order to access data protected by Two Factor Authentication, users must clearly identify themselves using two different methods of identification - their BGSU password and another component. The purpose of using two methods of identification is to better protect your data and works under the premise that an unauthorized user is unlikely to be able to supply both required methods of identification.
Security breaches at BGSU can, have, and will happen, this cannot always be prevented. This is why the university has elected to place Two Factor Authentication in front of many of its most important services. Please review this page for more information on BGSU Two Factor Authentication and how it affects you.
BGSU uses the Duo security access product to provide users with secure access to sensitive data. Enrollment in Duo offers a simple and quick method for implementing Two Factor Authentication at the University. Information Technology Services (ITS) recommends the Duo App as the preferred verification option because it is the fastest and most effective way to access protected services using Two Factor Authentication.
After enrolling in Duo, users will be required to authenticate every time they login to a protected service. Once logged in to the MyBGSU portal, users will stay logged in until the session times out after 30 minutes, or until they close out the portal (whichever comes first).
For assistance using Duo, please contact the Technology Support Center.
For additional information on Duo Two Factor Authentication please review our Knowledge Base.
Remember Me for 30 Days Feature
BGSU account holders have the option to have Duo Two Factor Authentication remember their credentials when logging in to the MyBGSU portal for 30 days. This new feature will appear as a checkbox when the user first attempts to access the portal. Selecting this option will allow the user to bypass the two factor login for the next 30 days. When the 30 days have expired, the user will once again be prompted to authenticate using Duo, and from there, they may select this option again. There is no limit to the number of times you can select this option. Please note:
- The "Remember Me" feature is browser-specific. If you select this option while using Chrome, and attempt to access the portal using Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc., you will still need to authenticate using Duo Two Factor Authentication.
- The "Remember Me" feature is device-specific. If you select this option while using your mobile phone to access a protected service, and then attempt to access the same service using your laptop, you will still need to authenticate using Duo Two Factor Authentication.
- The "Remember Me" feature is also service-specific. Choosing this option for MyBGSU portal login will not carry over to allow the user to bypass authentication for other protected services.
To have the Duo Two Factor Authentication system remember you for 30 days, just check the box on the Duo screen that says "Remember me for 30 Days." You will need to check this box once per browser, per device, and you will need to check the box again if you clear your cache or history.
If you use the automatic push on Duo, things might get a bit tricky. Here is a quick video to show the process with automatic push.
What can I use to authenticate?
March 15, 2017, Information Technology Services (ITS) added Two Factor Authentication protection for the MyBGSU portal. This requires users to authenticate using the Duo software every time they login to the portal. The implementation of full-portal Two Factor Authentication coverage is provided for increased account security.
As of August 1, 2019 Duo Two Factor Authentication protection for email is mandatory for all BGSU faculty, staff, affiliated partners and graduate assistants.
Students and retirees can elect turn on Duo Two Factor Authentication protection for email as well.
Two Factor Authentication adds an extra layer of security to your BGSU email access. To start using Two Factor Authentication to protect your account now, please follow these instructions:
- Login to MyBGSU and select IT Service Desk from the orange menu at the top of the screen.
- Select Email Two Factor Authentication from the left navigation menu.
- Review the table on this page for information regarding which email clients do and do not work with Duo Two Factor Authentication enabled.
- Move the Current Enhanced Email Security Status slider to ON and select Save.