Katzner Graduate Student Research and Professional Development
Fall Semester – October 1, 2019 (Fall awards may be used from January 1, 2020 to September 1, 2020)
Spring Semester – April 1, 2020 (Spring awards may be used from June 1, 2020 to December 31, 2020)
The Graduate College is pleased to announce an outstanding funding opportunity for graduate students at BGSU.
In early 1998, after 13 years as Vice Provost for Research and Dean of the Graduate College, Dr. Louis Katzner decided to return to what attracted him to higher education in the first place – the study and teaching of philosophy. One of his top priorities during his tenure as the Graduate Dean was to increase the support available to graduate students for conducting research and for professional development. We are most grateful to Dr. Louis Katzner, Trustee Professor of Philosophy, for creating this opportunity to invest in the education of our graduate students.
The Katzner Award can be used to supplement the cost of graduate student research and professional development activities for graduate students at Bowling Green State University. Each semester, three awards will be granted ($1000, $750, and $500).
Awards Eligibility and Selection Criteria
- Any fully admitted graduate student who is currently enrolled at BGSU and in good academic standing is eligible to apply.
- Students requesting funds must have an approved thesis/dissertation topic approval form on file in the Graduate College.
- Preference will be given to research costs pertaining to thesis/dissertation projects.
- Allowable budget requests include:
- Research related materials and supplies
- Photocopies of required materials (surveys, forms, etc.)
- Equipment and/or repair of equipment that is essential for the project
- Incentives to human subjects, if justified.
- Non-allowable expenses include:
- Direct financial support of the applicant
- Clerical and research assistants, transcribers or consultants
- Routine office materials and general office supplies, standard lab materials, chemicals and glassware
- Cameras and camcorders, cell phones, local telephone costs, computer software or hardware
- All expenses must be incurred after the request for funding is approved. Expenses incurred earlier will be decided on a case-by-case basis.
- All equipment and non-disposable materials obtained with these funds will become the property of Bowling Green State University and returned to the student’s department.
- For requests for reimbursement of travel to conventions, conferences, workshops and meetings sponsored by professional organizations
- Students must be presenting their research in the form of a panel, paper, poster, etc. to be eligible for funding.
- Allowable travel expenses for conventions, conferences, workshops are those that are reimbursable under BGSU’s Travel Reimbursement Policy including transportation, lodging, and registration. A copy of this policy is available on the Office of the Controller’s website.
- Application for the award:
- Students should apply using this form and this estimated budget template by the deadline.
- For conference participation, students must attach a copy of the program or letter of invitation (email format is acceptable), with the applicant’s name clearly listed verifying participation in the conference.
- No application will be considered for funding retroactively.
- Only complete applications submitted by the deadline will be considered for funding.
- Each application will be considered on an individual basis according to each student’s circumstances, and it is the responsibility of the student to ensure the application is complete and submitted by the deadline.
- Selection of the recipients will be made by a selection committee appointed by the Dean of the Graduate College.
- Students may receive only one award from the Katzner Fund during the course of their graduate career.