Accelerated BA in Communication to MA in Media and Communication Program Policy
Please see the Graduate College’s Accelerated Bachelor’s to Master’s Program webpage and official Accelerated Bachelor’s to Master’s Program Policy for information pertaining to all Accelerated Programs.
Students interested in pursuing the Accelerated BA/Bachelor of Arts in Communication to MA program plan in Media and Communication must complete the following application requirements:
1. By the start of the student’s Accelerated status, they must have either:
- 75 credit hours earned and an overall BGSU GPA of at least 3.2, or
- 90 credit hours earned and an overall BGSU GPA of at least 3.0;
2. A completed Accelerated Bachelor’s to Master’s Program Application;
3. Official transcripts from all universities attended;
4. At least one letter of recommendation from a full-time BGSU faculty member, preferably from graduate faculty within the student’s major or targeted graduate program;
5. A personal essay that explains the student’s academic interests and how those interests match to faculty and areas of emphasis in the School of Media & Communication.
Accelerated BA to MA in Media & Communication Program Plan
Students enrolled in the Accelerated BA to MA in Media and Communication should follow the following course schedule for planning out graduate work that begins while still enrolled as an undergraduate student, followed by the courses taken when fully enrolled as a graduate student in the MA in Media and Communication program. In order to complete this plan in an accelerated format, it is strongly recommended that students choose the Plan II option (non-thesis). Students who choose the thesis option should expect the completion of their master’s degree program to take longer than an additional extra (5th) year.
Undergraduate Accelerated Status (limited to 9 credits maximum)
Courses that may be taken while an undergraduate student with Undergraduate Accelerated Status that will overlap between the Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees (choose three):
MC 5040: Communication and Conflict
MC 5050: Mediated Cultures and Identities
MC 5080: Intercultural Communication
MC 5090: International Communication
MC 5610: Audience Research
MC 5630: Media Programming
MC 5640: Practicum in Interactive Online Media Production
MC 5670: Gender, Media, & Culture
MC 5700: Electronic Surveillance and Privacy
MC 5750: Global Journalism