Center for Photochemical Sciences
The Center for Photochemical Sciences, established in 1985, evolved
from research activities of faculty in the Department of Chemistry at
Bowling Green State University to make more effective use of focused
resources in the photochemical sciences by assembling teams of
scientists collaborating in an interactive, interdisciplinary research
Center members include BGSU faculty from the Departments of Chemistry, Physics and Astronomy, and Biological Sciences. Its unifying intellectual theme focuses on the study of the interaction of light with physical, chemical, and biological systems, and on the quest for practical applications of that basic knowledge, which stimulate new technology. The Center serves to expand the synergy of research, teaching, and applications in the photochemical sciences.
Goals and Objectives
- To conduct research across displinary boundaries.
- To prepare students and professionals for careers in industry and academia.
- To support established technological business through consultation and collaboration, particularly in our immediate locale, and to support the development of new business based on photoscience.
- To serve as a resource center and transfer knowledge to those outside the Center.
- Strong interaction on regional, state, and national levels with industries whose research, development and product initiatives involve the photochemical sciences.
- A distinguished scientific advisory board composed of leaders in the photosciences from industry and academia who participate in policy, planning, and establishment of long-range goals for the Center.
- Research collaborations at the local, regional, national, and international levels.
student Giuseppe Giammanco to pitch idea at The Hatch
entrepreneurship competition, April 4, 2016
- BGSU partners to build diversity in faculty ranks from graduate level up, January 27, 2016
Alumnus, faculty scholar connect to answer
December 8, 2015
- BGSU to host 2015 Ohio Inorganic Weekend: Nov 13-14, September 15, 2015
D. E. Forbes to lead Center for Photochemical Sciences, May 14, 2015
- Graduate student Ali Akdeniz receives
2015-2016 McMaster Fellowship; Graduate students Giuseppe Giammanco
and Natalia Razgoniaeva receive travel fellowships, April 23, 2015
- Graduate student Mary Bauman receives the university's 2014-2015 Outstanding Graduate Student Teaching Award. March 20, 2015
Abstracts are now being accepted for the Ohio
Photochemical Society meeeting in May. February 16, 2015
Professor George Bullerjahn and BGSU
biologists lead project to protect Sandusky city water supply.
January 29, 2015
from Ostrowski lab make photoresponsive materials. January
Peter Lu elected as American Physical Society (APS) Fellow.
January 8, 2015
undergrads make strides in photochemical sciences. August
- Graduate student Sergey Matveev
receives the 2014-2015 McMaster Graduate Research Fellowship.
April 28, 2014
- Professor Mikhail Zamkov receives Olscamp Research Award. April 25, 2014
- New organic chemistry lab hosts open house. September 26, 2013
- Ground broken for new Bureau of Criminal Investigation laboratory at BGSU. July 24, 2013
- Forensic science specialization to be offered at BGSU. March 25, 2013
- Alumni honors Dr. Tom Kinstle for fueling his energy research. January 28, 2013
- SPIE highlights Doug Neckers as a pioneer in stereolithography. January 15, 2013
All seminars will be held in Overman Hall 123 at 3:30 p.m. unless otherwise noted.
September 14, 2016
Charles Musgrave - CU Boulder
September 28, 2016
Jeremy Klosterman - Bowling Green State University
Directing Aggregation of Donor-Acceptor organic dyes within Metal-organic Frameworks
October 5, 2016
John Papnikolas - UNC Chapel Hill
October 12, 2016
Michael Walter - UNC Charlotte
Structural modifications to enhance exciton diffusion in porphyrin thin films and single crystals
October 19, 2016
John Miller - Brookhaven
Characteristics of Conjugated Polymers and Electron Transfer for Solar Energy Conversion
October 26, 2016
Yang Zhang, University of Michigan
Protein structure prediction and protein design
November 2, 2016
Delia Milliron - UT Austin
Tuning Localized Surface Plasmon Resonance in Metal Oxide Nanocrystals
November 9, 2016
Andrew Bocarsly - Princeton
Solar Fuels From Photoelectrochemical Cells: New Semiconductor-Electrolyte Interfaces for the Reduction of CO2 and H2O
November 16, 2016
Bharat Dhital - Bowling Green State University
Single-Molecule Interfacial Electron Transfer Dynamics in Dye-Sensitized TiO2 Nanoparticles
December 7, 2016
Matthew Beard - NREL