Diabetes Prevention Program - Now Recruiting (Spots Limited)
Did you know?
One out of three American adults has prediabetes. If you have prediabetes, you can make changes now to improve your health and prevent type 2 diabetes.
People with prediabetes — higher-than-normal blood glucose (sugar) levels — are five to 15 times more likely to develop type 2 diabetes than those with normal blood glucose levels. In fact, many people with prediabetes can be diagnosed with type 2 diabetes within five years.
PreventT2 with BGSU
Bowling Green State University will provide a free, virtual Diabetes Prevention Program to help reduce type 2 diabetes in the residents of Wood County. PreventT2 is part of the National Diabetes Prevention Program, led by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
The program will focus on serving those who need it most – Wood County residents who may not have access to health and wellness guidance through traditional channels. Using the CDC-approved curriculum, eligible participants will learn how to prevent type 2 diabetes through lifestyle changes such as healthy eating, physical activity, and managing stress.
A referral from a healthcare provider is required to participate.
PreventT2 Program Format
Apart from one or two activities held in-person during the orientation and program wrap-up, educational sessions will be held via HIPAA compliant distance learning software, allowing participants to join from home.
PreventT2 groups meet virtually for one year — weekly for the first six months, then once or twice a month for the second six months to maintain healthy lifestyle changes. Participants can join via phone, computer, or tablet. The program’s group setting provides a supportive environment with people facing similar challenges and making the same changes.
Participants will learn how to eat healthily, add physical activity to their routine, manage stress, stay motivated, and solve problems that can get in the way of healthy changes. Together participants will celebrate their successes and find ways to overcome obstacles.
PreventT2 Client Eligibility
Clients referred to the DPP must be:
- 18 years or older
- Not currently pregnant
- Have a body mass index of greater than or equal to 25 kg/m2 (greater than or equal to 23 kg/m2 if Asian American)
- Have a positive screening for prediabetes based on the PreDiabetes Risk Test or have a blood test result within one year indicating prediabetes or have a previous diagnosis of gestational diabetes during a previous pregnancy
- Clients cannot have a diagnosis of type 1 or type 2 diabetes
- Clients cannot be pregnant
With PreventT2, you will get:
- A proven program to prevent or delay type 2 diabetes
- A CDC-approved curriculum and trained lifestyle coach
- A year-long program with weekly meetings for the first six months, then once or twice a month for the second six months
- Support from others like you as you learn new skills
Join the PreventT2 program so you can keep doing the things you love.
The PreventT2 lifestyle coaches have the experience and training to help you reach your goals.
Your lifestyle coach will help you:
- Learn the facts about healthy eating and physical activity and explain how these behaviors will help reduce your risk for type 2 diabetes
- Set and meet your goals
- Build relationships with other participants
- Work as a group to meet challenges
This program is supported by the Bowling Green Community Foundation. We thank the Foundation for their support.