ANNE K. GORDON
DEPARTMENT OF PSYCHOLOGY
Ph.D., Miami University, 1998
B.A., Slippery Rock University, 1992
Phone: (419) 372-8161
Office: Room 215,Psychology Building
- Evolutionary Psychology (Human Mating)
- Social Psychology (Social Judgments)
My graduate training in social psychology focused on the study of how otherwise good people come to do bad things. In this vein, I have studied aggression, social stigma, lying and deception, and infidelity. I continue to be interested in each of these topics. However, I now view all aspects of human behavior through the lens of evolutionary psychology. The list of topics presented below illustrates the wide range of topics that interest me.
Recent Research Projects:
- Satisfaction and Regret over First Sexual Intercourse Experiences
- Perceptions of Female Sexual Arousal as depicted in Pornography
- Schadenfreude in Same-and Opposite-Sex Friendships
- Parental Favoritism of Children
- Sibling Aggression
- Lying in Romantic Relationships
ACCEPTING NEW GRADUATE STUDENTS? YES
Colyn, L. A., & Gordon, A. K. (in press). Schadenfreude as a mate-value tracking mechanism. Personal Relationships.
Gordon, A. K., & Kraus, S.W. (2010). Yes. Yes! Yes!!! What do Mona's moans tell us about her sexual pleasure? In D. Monroe & F. Allhoff (Eds.) Pornography & Philosophy: How to think with kink (pp. 35-51). New York: Wiley-Blackwell.
Gordon, A. K., Cohen, M. A., Grauer, E., & Rogelberg, S. (2005). Innocent flirting or sexual harassment? Workers' perceptions of ambiguous work-place behaviors. Representative Research in Social Psychology, 28, 47-58.
Gordon, A. K., Musher-Eizenman, D. R., Holub, S. C., &
Dalrymple, J. (2004). What are children thankful for? An archival
analysis of gratitude before and after the attacks of September 11th.
Journal of Applied Development Psychology, 25(5), 541-553.
Kaplar, M. E., & Gordon, A. K. (2004). The enigma of altruistic lying: Perspective differences in what motivates and justifies lie telling within romantic relationships. Personal Relationships, 11, 489-507.
- PSYC 1010. General Psychology
- PSYC 2900. Laboratory Methods in Psychology
- PSYC 3110. Social Psychology
- PSYC 3130. Research in Social Psychology
- PSYC 4400. Evolutionary Psychology
- PSYC 4400. Evolutionary Psychology Lab
- PSYC 7430. Theories of Social Psychology II