UNDERGRADUATE SOCIAL WORK ADMISSION POLICY & PROCEDURES
Eligibility Requirements (for applying for admission to the degree program)
- Completed 30 credit hours.
- Earned an overall accumulated grade point average of 2.50.
- Earned a grade of “C” or better in SOWK 1100 and SOC 1010.
- Completed a minimum of 30 hours of paid or volunteer work in a social service agency.
A student may submit an application at any time. A faculty committee evaluates applications and provides recommendations to the Social Work program director. Students receive notification by mail or e-mail approximately two weeks after the application deadline. Deadlines for each semester are as follows: September 30th is the deadline for those wanting admission for the upcoming spring semester. January 30th is the deadline for those wanting admission for the upcoming fall semester.
- September 30 - Begin taking major courses in the upcoming Spring semester (Register for classes Mid-October)
- January 30 - Begin taking major courses in the upcoming Fall semester. (Register for classes Mid-March)
Any applications received after the deadline date will be reviewed the next semester. Students not accepted for admission the first time may re-apply a second time. The student must see their Social Work faculty adviser prior to submitting their re-application form.
Student must obtain two written references. At least one of the references must come from the social service agency where the student did his/her volunteer experience. This reference should document specifically what activities the student performed and the number of hours completed. If the second reference is not coming from the social service agency, it needs to come from one of the following helping professionals: minister/clergy, teacher/guidance counselor, nurse/physician, social worker/counselor/ psychologist. DO NOT USE COLLEGE FACULTY OR FAMILY MEMBERS TO COMPLETE THE REFERENCE.
Students applying to the Program from educational institutions, other than Bowling Green State University, should submit a copy of their most recent transcript (with grades).
- Give the reference form, from the application, and an envelope with your name and address
on the front to the persons selected.
- After they complete it, instruct the reference to seal the envelope and place their signature over the seal.
- Reference should return the envelope to you to attach to the application. Envelopes not signed or opened when received in the Social Work Program Office may be disqualified.
- Submit a completed application assembled in correct order:
- You may deliver it to 223 HHS Building between 8:00 AM and 4:45 PM (M-F).
- Or mail it to: Admissions Review Committee, Social Work Program, 223 HHS Building, BGSU, Bowling Green, OH 43403.
- Students will be notified by email of acceptance/rejectionin time for the upcoming semester's registration.
Criteria for Acceptance:
Acceptance into the Social Work Program is competitive. The Program is limited to100 majors annually and admission is based upon available openings. Meeting the minimum eligibility requirements listed above does not guarantee admission into the Program. Criteria for Acceptance will be determined based on consideration of the following.
- Hours Completed
- Ethics/Diversity Statement
- Two Reference Letters
- Paid/Volunteer Hours Completed in a Social Service Agency
- Participation/Involvement in Campus Extracurricular Activities
When accepted as a Major, a student must maintain a 2.50 accumulative GPA. If the GPA goes below a 2.50, the student will be placed on “Probation” for one semester. Failure to raise the GPA to a 2.50 or above at the end of the “Probationary” semester will result in the student being dropped from the Social Work Major.