Analytics - Archived 2018-19 Graduate Catalog
Master of Science in Analytics (MSA)
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the Master’s degree, students in the Analytics program are expected to be able to:
- Analyze data using statistical and operations research techniques pertaining to descriptive, predictive, and prescriptive analytics.
- Apply computer algorithmic, data base management, and business intelligence techniques using software and hardware platforms pertaining to big data analytics.
- Implement project management skills necessary to manage the scope, time, cost, and quality of analytic projects.
- Evaluate how analytics are applied to critical tasks facing business decision-making.
- Communicate effectively orally, in writing and through the use of creative data presentation and visualization.
Prerequisites to Graduate Work
The MSA program requires at least one college-level course in each of the following areas: calculus, statistics, and computer programming. These prerequisites may also be satisfied with significant professional experience.
- Completed online application. https://www.bgsu.edu/graduate/admissions.html
- Scanned copies of official or unofficial transcripts from all institutions attended. Upon admission, final official or notarized copies of transcripts from all institutions where degrees were earned and diplomas from international institutions must be submitted.
- Official scores from the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT). The GRE/GMAT requirement may be waived for applicants with:
- Five or more years of related professional work experience,
- BGSU undergraduate degree with a 3.5 cumulative GPA or higher in a related program,
- A prior awarded graduate degree (from a US regionally accredited institution) in a related field.
- Waiver requests should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note final decisions on waiver requests will be made by the MSA Program Director and/or MSA Program Committee.
The MSA program requires a total of 33 semester hours.
MSA 5020 – Regression Analysis (3 credits)
MSA 5400 – Database Management (3 credits)
MSA 5470 – Exploratory Data Analysis (3 credits)
MSA 6010 – Decision Optimization (3 credits)
MSA 6701 – Analytics Project I (1 credit)
MSA 5160 – Time Series Analysis and Forecasting (3 credits)
MSA 5600 - Business Intelligence (3 credits)
MSA 6400 – Data Mining (3 credits)
MSA 6500 – Big Data Analytics (3 credits)
MSA 6702 – Analytics Project II (1 credit)
MSA 6450 – Advanced Data Analytics (3 credits)
MSA 6600 – Project Management (3 credits)
MSA 6703 – Analytics Project III (1 credit)
Please access graduate courses online by clicking the “Browsing Course Catalog” button at http://www.bgsu.edu/registration-records/courses-and-classes/class-course-information.html.
Graduate courses offered in the MS in Analytics program use the prefix: MSA.