Getting Started at BGSU
Advisee Responsibilities – What You Are Expected To Do
As an advisee, you have clear responsibilities in the advising partnership in order to be successful:
- Stay in touch with your advisor each semester
- Be prepared for each appointment
- Engage fully in the advising experience
- Keep a personal record of your progress towards your goals
- Organize official documents to allow for easy access
- Complete all assignments or recommendations from your advisor
- Gather relevant decision-making information
- Clarify personal values and goals and inform advisor of your interests and abilities
- Become knowledgeable about college programs, policies, and procedures
- Become your own self-advocate
- Invest completely and accept responsibility in the educational process
Advisor Responsibilities – What You Can Expect As an advisee, you can expect your advisor to:
- Understand and communicate the curriculum, graduation requirements, and university and policies and procedures
- Support you as you gain the skills to develop clear and attainable educational plans
- Provide you with information on utilizing campus resources and services
- Assist you in determining higher education and personal goals
- Monitor and document progress towards meeting your goals
- Be accessible for advising via office hours, telephone, e-mail, or web access
- Assist you in decision making skills for your educational plans and achievements
- Maintain confidentiality
Student & Faculty Expectations
What students should expect of the faculty:
- A course syllabus that explains policies, assignments, grading scale, and a tentative schedule.
- Regular class meetings at the times listed in the course schedule.
- Notification in the event that a scheduled class must be cancelled.
- Feedback on student performance.
- Availability outside of class during scheduled office hours or by appointment for additional assistance.
- Timely responses to emails and/or Canvas messages.
What faculty expect of students:
- Read the course syllabus and know the schedule and policies.
- Arrive to class on time and prepared for the day’s lesson.
- Open communication and timely notification if the student does not understand the course material or class procedures.
- Check BGSU email and Canvas courses frequently for important updates.
- Devote time outside of class to reading, assignments, and the review of course content.
- Pay attention in class and be respectful of both the professor and classmates.
BGSU strives to challenge and support students to become independent and engaged citizens who are able to take responsibility for achieving lifelong educational, personal and career goals.
- Book list
- BG1 Card
- Career Handshake
- Student Center
Academic and Career Counseling
- Discuss major & career ideas
- Verify Dual Enrollment, Advanced Placement, CC+ credit and transfer credit
- Discuss full-time/part-time status and Modes of Instruction
- Register for classes
- Academic standing
Get ready by downloading these apps:
Follow us here:
- Facebook: @bgsufirelands
- Instagram: @officialBGSUfirelands
- Twitter: @BGSUFirelands
- Academic Calendar
- Academic and Career Counseling — 419-372-0886
- Academic Policies—419-372-8441
- Accessibility Services —419-372-8495
- Bayshore Counseling Services —.419-626-9156
- BG Career Center—419-372-2356
- BG1 Card Services—419-372-4127
- Campus Security/Erie County Sheriff—419-372-0709
- Education Abroad and International Partnerships—419-372-2429
- Financial Aid—419-372-0655
- Firelands Counseling and Recovery Services of Erie County—419-557-5177
- GPA Calculator
- Grading Policies—419-372-8441
- Internships and Co-ops—419-372-2356
- Library —419-372-0739
- Nontraditional & Military Student Services—419-372-8136
- Office of the Dean—419-372-0623
- Registration and Records—419-372-8441
- Student Conduct—419-372-0623
- Student Employment Services—419-372-0882
- Student Engagement, Diversity and Inclusion—419-372-0621
- Teaching and Learning Center —419-372-0748
- Technology Support Services—419-372-0626
AlertBG is only used in emergencies or for severe weather closures. All students, faculty and staff will receive the alert messages on their cell phones and email. Login to your MyBGSU to review your AlertBG notification settings.
Wellness at BGSU Firelands
The Counseling Center: Offering services to all BGSU students via telehealth, the Counseling Center is reachable at 419-372-2081.
Emergencies: Call 911 for an emergency. There is an in-call counselor available for crisis situations from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday through BGSU. Call the center and ask to speak with the counselor. For crisis situations after hours, contact 1-800-273-8255.
Additional crisis resources: Crisis Text Line— Text HOME to 741741 for a crisis counselor or text STEVE to 741741 for a culturally competent crisis counselor. You can also text or dial 988 to be connected to a crisis counselor 24/7.
Firelands Food Pantry: The pantry offers access to nonperishables, toiletry and hygiene products for members of the campus community. The pantry is on the first floor of George Mylander Hall off the west hallway. Stop by and take what you need, no questions asked.
Diversity and Belonging: Student Engagement, Diversity and Inclusion is committed to creating and maintaining a safe and supportive campus where students can successfully navigate and integrate their educational, cultural, and social identities into a dynamic collegiate experience. For more information, visit the Student Life webpage, or email email@example.com, or call 419-372-0621.
Severe Weather / Emergency Cancellation: In the event of severe weather or any other emergency condition which necessitates canceling classes, BGSU Firelands will be closed. Any and all delays and cancellations will be available on the home page of our web site as well as the campus telephone greeting / switchboard.
- by 6:30 a.m. for cancellation of morning classes
- by 10:30 a.m. for cancellation of afternoon classes (beginning at 12:30 p.m.)
- by 3 p.m. for cancellation of evening classes (beginning at 4:30 p.m.)
Financial Aid & Student Accounts
- Schedule an appointment with our financial aid team
- Review the Searchable Scholarship Guide each year to explore aid opportunities
- File your FASFA
- Review the cost of college at the Office of the Bursar
- Visit the financial aid webpage for more information
- Contact the financial aid team at 419-372-0655
The Teaching and Learning Center
The Teaching and Learning Center provides academic support services to all students. The office is at 230 North Building, BGSU Firelands.
Asynchronous tutoring: Submit course-based questions from your BG email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Specifc homework questions and examples cannot be answered outright.
Synchronous tutoring: Electronic face-to-face or in-person tutoring on campus may be requested through NAVIGATE.
Writing lab: Email your papers for review before submitting for a grade to email@example.com
Academic coaching: Improve your personal and professional goals by working with an academic coach. Contact: 419-372-0890
Updated: 03/29/2023 02:01PM