Classified Staff Council Welcomes You to Bowling Green State University
Congratulations! You are now a member of the most important support team which enables Bowling Green State University (BGSU) to provide essential services to its students, faculty and visitors. We hope your career at BGSU will be a long and gratifying one!
Please listen to a brief message from President Mary Ellen Mazey that speaks to all classified staff at BGSU!
What is Classified Staff Council?
Established in 1979, Classified Staff Council’s (CSC) primary purpose is to provide a direct channel of communication between classified employees and University administrators. CSC adheres to the University’s Core Values which include:
We respect one another and foster diversity and a culture of inclusion.
We collaborate with each other and our community partners in the region, the State of Ohio, the nation and the world.
We promote intellectual and personal growth through curricular and co-curricular efforts.
We foster an environment of creativity, innovation, and entrepreneurism.
We expect excellence in all we do.
CSC is comprised of classified employees representing various organizational areas of the University. All permanent full-time and part-time classified employees who are employed at BGSU and have completed their probationary period are eligible for election to Council.
What Does Classified Staff Council Do?
CSC represents you! Council representatives listen to the employee’s concerns and opinions and respect their suggestions, ideas and comments. They want to make your work environment as pleasant as possible so your career at BGSU is as satisfying as it can be. If you need assistance of any kind, CSC encourages you to contact a CSC representative.
Meetings are held each month. Council establishes goals each year and addresses matters of interest and/or concern to classified employees. Problems with applicable solutions as well as ideas for new initiatives benefiting classified employees are presented for discussion and action. CSC works with administration to propose yearly wage increases based on job market comparisons. During 2012-2013 CSC members served on a Working Group with AON-Hewitt for updating the BGSU Classification System. They also develop and propose ideas to administration for better fringe benefits. The Chair and Chair-Elect of CSC meet monthly with University administrators and meetings with the University President are scheduled each semester.
Classified Staff Council sponsors special events throughout the year. Events include:
- A first time fundraiser called “Buck N Ear” with proceeds benefitting the Classified Staff Scholarship Fund.
- Holiday Parade donation to promote the University Classified Staff Council
- A brown bag lunch for Martin Luther King campus volunteers at “Day On!”
- Annual Awards Program to celebrate various accomplishments by Classified Staff
CSC Sponsors Annual Employee Recognition Ceremony
CSC is committed to recognizing excellence within our ranks. Each spring Council organizes an annual employee awards ceremony where several awards are presented. Awards include:
- Spirit of BG Award - Recognizes employees who are caught showing the "Spirit of BG” as defined by the core values of BGSU. All qualified monthly nominees receive recognition, their name announced in the Campus Update and on the CSC Awards web page, and are entered into a drawing for monetary prizes at the Annual Awards and Recognition Program. The nominees will also have their picture taken as a group which will be displayed on the permanent plaque in the Bowen-Thompson Student Union.
- Scholarship Awards - These awards recognize BGSU classified employees and their dependents/spouse by awarding scholarships when they are enrolled at BGSU and have a minimum GPA.
- Outstanding Service Award - Recipient receives a monetary award of $1,000 and a commemorative plaque. The award recipient will also have a picture taken which will then be displayed on the permanent plaque which is on display in the Bowen-Thompson Student Union.
- Team Award - Recognizes a group of employees within a classified staff area who work as a team. The recipients of this award receive a monetary award of $1,500 to share among the nominated group.