Scholarships & Financial Aid
Financial aid is available to help pay for your instructional and general fees, nonresident fees (if applicable), room, meals, books, transportation and personal expenses. Currently, 80% of all BGSU students receive some type of financial assistance.
To be considered for need-based aid, you must be an admitted student AND file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). When completing the FAFSA, be sure to list BGSU’s school code: 003018.
There are four types of financial aid
- BGSU awards an average of 5,800 scholarships totaling approximately $20 million each year
- Scholarships are considered gift aid and generally do not require repayment
- Awards are based on attributes such as academic achievement, service and talent
- Deadline to apply for scholarship consideration is January 15, 2015
- Grants are need based and do not require repayment
- Federal and state grants are limited to lower income students
- Student loans must be repaid
- Federal Direct Student Loan for Undergraduate Students is available to help parents meet educational costs
- BGSU employs approximately 3500-4000 students on campus throughout the year
- Student employees work an average of 10-15 hours per week
- Students earn at least $7.95 per hour
Financial aid deadlines – Don’t be left out
December 8, 2014
- Application for admission and credentials deadline (including official ACT or SAT test results) for all applicants who wish to be considered for an Alumni Laureate Scholarship. Alumni Laureate application must be on file in office of Alumni Affairs by 5 PM, December 8.
- Sidney A. Ribeau President's Leadership Academy (PLA) scholarship deadline. Applicants must be accepted into BGSU and submit the online PLA application by 5 PM, December 8.
- Award of High Distinction Scholarship Competition deadline. Complete a BGSU application for admission and the Honors College application by December 8.
- FAFSA form is available in high schools and online. Complete and file as soon as possible after January 1, 2015. Use estimated income data if tax information is not yet available. BGSU provides an online FASFA tutorial for students and their families.
January 15, 2015
- Deadline for credentials (including official ACT or SAT test results) for all those who wish to be considered for freshman academic scholarships. Note: the Award of High Distinction Scholarship Competition and Alumni Laureate Scholarship deadline is December 8, 2014.
- In order to be considered for the University Freshman Academic Scholarship Award, you must apply for admission by January 15, 2015. Freshmen applying after this date will be considered for University Freshman Academic Scholarships if funds are available and possibly at a reduced amount.
February 15, 2015
- To be considered for maximum financial aid for the upcoming school year, submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by this date.
May 1, 2015
- Scholarship application deadline for BGSU Firelands students.