Scholarships & Financial Aid
Financial aid is available to help pay for your instructional and general fees, nonresident fees (if applicable), room, meals, books, transportation and personal expenses. Currently, 80% of all BGSU students receive some type of financial assistance.
To be considered for need-based aid, you must be an admitted student AND file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). When completing the FAFSA, be sure to list BGSU’s school code: 003018.
There are four types of financial aid
- BGSU awards an average of 5,800 scholarships totaling approximately $20 million each year
- Scholarships are considered gift aid and generally do not require repayment
- Awards are based on attributes such as academic achievement, service, and talent
- Deadline to apply for scholarship consideration is January 15, 2017
- Grants are need-based and do not require repayment
- Federal and state grants are limited to lower-income students
- Student loans must be repaid
- Federal Direct Student Loan for Undergraduate Students is available to help parents meet educational costs
- BGSU employs approximately 3500-4000 students on campus throughout the year
- Student employees work an average of 10-15 hours per week
- Students earn at least $8.10 per hour
Financial aid deadlines – Don’t be left out
October 1, 2016
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is available in high schools and online. Complete and file as soon as possible after October 1, 2016, using tax information from 2015. BGSU provides an online FAFSA tutorial for students and their families.
December 5, 2016
- Alumni Laureate Scholarship (ALS) deadline. An application for admission and all credentials (including official transcripts and ACT or SAT results) must be on file by December 5. The ALS application must be on file in the Office of Alumni Affairs by 11:59PM, December 5.
- Sidney A. Ribeau President's Leadership Academy (PLA) scholarship deadline. Applicants must be accepted into BGSU and submit the online PLA application by December 5.
- Presidential Scholars Award Competition deadline. Submit a complete a BGSU application for admission (including official transcripts and ACT or SAT results) and the Honors College application by December 5.
January 15, 2017
- Academic Investment in Mathematics & Science (AIMS) Program scholarship deadline. Applicants must be accepted into BGSU and submit the online AIMS application by January 15.
- In order
to be considered for the University Freshman Academic Scholarship
Award, you must apply for admission by January 15, 2017. Freshmen
applying after this date will be considered for University Freshman
Academic Scholarships if funds are available and possibly at a
- Note: the Presidential Scholars Award Competition, Alumni Laureate Scholarship, and Sidney A. Ribeau President's Leadership Academy scholarship deadlines are December 5, 2016.
- To be considered for maximum financial aid for the upcoming school year, submit the FAFSA by January 15.
March 1, 2017
- In order to be considered for the University Freshman Academic Scholarship Award, you must have all credentials submitted (including official transcripts and ACT or SAT results) by this date. Updated credentials submitted after this date will not impact the University Freshman Scholarship Award amount offered.
May 1, 2017
- Scholarship application deadline for BGSU Firelands students.